Voltage change

2014 Infiniti Q50s. I have a nice system I put in a while ago, I know the amp draws a lot of currant Taramps MD8000.1 and I havent had any issues, I even put a secondary audio battery in the truck to maintain my voltage. Amp is way more than I need to push two 12"  Pure audio X-12s version 3, only putting 3000 watts to them at 2 ohm. About a week ago my voltage started to drop from 14.4v to a low 13v-12v, i started to try and narrow it down, first disconnected the subs- no change, then disconnected the subwoofer amp- no change,then I took the fuses  out the lines going to the secondary battery- no change. I have a brand new starter battery up front, when i'm on the gas it will charge to 14v or so. When i coast at high speed, volts stay high but, when im on the gas lightly the volts drop to 12.4v or so. At a stop and it depends sometimes i'm at 13.5v sometimes i'm lower, I looked over every fuse going to the alt, ecm, everything and all are good. I read somewhere that If you disconnect the Alt for a bit, it will reset so I tried it and Nada. I had the Alt checked and at the time it checked OK, Big 3 done, all upgrades to grounds done under the hood with 1/0 gauge OFC wire. Block to chassis 1/0, Negative post to Ground 1/0, and Alternator done with 1/0. Even though Alternator is stock 150amp It's still charging when needed so I think it's still good and not the issue IDK,  I am dumbfounded. Right now all aftermarket audio is disconnected and problem persists.

Taramps MD8000.1

2- Pure audio X-12s Ver3

CT Sounds Universal Bass Knob w/digital voltmeter

XS Power D5100

All 1/0 Gauge OFC

2 runs of 1/0 to the amp

2 amp grounds

Big 3

Any comments or help would be helpful, 

Thanks, Mitch

The regulator on your alternator might be messed up or the battery up front isn’t grounded well. Test the voltage your alternator it’s self is putting out by using a multimeter to the positive post of the alternator and the ground of the alternator to check the voltage the alternator it’s self is generating. If it’s the same as you have noticed then it’s an alternator issue, possibly a messed up regulator or a bad ground. If it’s putting out over 14 volts then it has something to do with your battery ground. Have you tested the voltage when the engine is cold after the vehicle has been sitting for a while? Because that’s when the voltage is where it’s suppose to be and whenever the engine gets hot, internal regulated alternators voltage decreases. But most likely you where straining that alternator too much and your secondary battery is probably discharged like fugh because of the current draw digging into its reserve so much and now you need a new alternator. Have you ever charged that xs battery with a separate agm battery charger? I’m not talking about the alternator maintaining the battery but an actual charger you plug into the wall. Because if you didn’t then most likely your alternator was negatively affected. Or maybe that voltmeter on that bass knob messed up. Are you checking with a multimeter?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Is that the hybrid model or base model? Because if it’s the hybrid model then I have another idea what it could be. Make sure you read what I’ve asked carefully and answer and explain thoroughly so me and/or somebody else can help troubleshoot that problem. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Many modern vehicles manage the charging system far differently than what has been traditional.  Specifically, the goal is to minimize the load the alternator places on the engine in an effort to improve fuel economy.  A quick google search on your Infiniti leads me to believe it is one such vehicle.  Typically, the ECU manages the output of the alternator via a feedback loop to determine the actual charge state of the battery.  The ECU can even disable the alternator if it deems its not necessary - a function of monitored vehicle conditions such as mph, rpm, and charge state.

I couldn't find any pictures specific to your vehicle, but you may want to speak to a tech at the local Infinti dealer and have them explain to you how the regulation is managed.  You may then want to look very closely at the stock system to be sure that you've not disrupted its operation by adding what you have thus far.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Archived