Sundown Audio

Impedance rise

markcrnll

Not sure if this is the right topic board or not but I had a few questions about impedance rise... My main question is what all variables effect impedance rise? We all know enclosure and cabinet area area some of the biggest contributors. But what about amplifiers? For instance. My least amount of impedance rise comes at 29hz where I rise from .67 to 1.3ohms. The rest of my frequencies rise to in between 1.3 and 1.95 ohms. I’m running a 1ohm stable amp. For instance if I switched over to a 2ohm stable amp, still wired at .67 would my impedance rises stay the same and rise to 1.3-1.95? Or would they change? How about my drivers? If I wired my subwoofers to 1.5 ohms would the total rise stay at approximately .6-1.3 ohms rise or would it get a proportionally bigger rise as I increase the nominal impedance of my driver wiring? Would increasing/ decreasing power output from the amp cause fluctuation in impedance rise? Brand of amp? Different drivers? What variables have you guys noticed makes the biggest difference besides enclosure? Differences that you have seen and tested for yourself and not just “heard about”. Thanks guys!

well impedance is a measure of a circuits resistance when voltage is applied and changes based on frequency (so for DC, resistance = impedance; for AC resistance <> impedance although they can be the same at times.). So anything you do to change that circuit at all will change the impedance curve. Definitely changing amps and/or drivers will change your impedance curve for sure. I'm not sure how much anything affects impedance rise more than anything else though. For the most part, I would imagine well designed system (enclosure design, powerful enough amp for woofers, etc...) is about all you need to worry about. Chasing down things to lower your impedance rise are just probably not worth it unless you just have a terrible designed system. IMO anyway, i don't know tons about impedance so very possible I am way off base here.

On a side note, i have no idea how you would measure which one of those affects rise more or less than the others. You can easily see what enclosure has the least amount of change by keeping the equipment all the same and taking a base line of the impedance curve before you put the drivers in an enclosure. compare different enclosures to that curve and see which one has the curve you like best. but then you have to see how much you like how that enclosure sounds. But when you start changing the equipment you have no baseline to compare anything too. Unless there is a way to see impedance curve of a speaker with hooking an amp up to it? That is beyond what I know how to do though. haha.

I suppose you test different amps that have the same RMS output with the same drivers to see what curve looks the best, whatever that means to you. This will end up being a lot of testing for what might end up being almost no discernible change in output as well. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived