Computer Won't Turn On. I Need Help!

Alright, I posted this over at OCN but maybe someone here can give me answer also.

I have a gateway desktop computer with a intel Q6600 processor, 4 gigs of ram , windows vista, and all the other goodies.

My problem is, is that one night my dad( this is his computer) shuts down the comp. and it does fine. The next morning He went to turn it on and nothing happened. I tried doing a bare startup( just CPU, 1 stick of ram, video card and PSU) and got nothing. I ordered a new power supply and that didn't help. I just got a new MOBO in about two hours ago and that didn't change a thing. When you hit the power button, one of the fans buzzes like it trys to start for a second and the it stops, nothing else happens. So, I've narrowed it down to probably being the CPU, and yes i tried a CMOS reset today

Is there anything else I should try?

Edited by Chris D

with gateways your on the right track probably the processor..... :(

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Yea I am hoping that's not it. Mainly because the processor alone is around $250-$300, I might be able to get lucky and find it for about $220 or so, but its still a pricey little shit.

the q6600 is 219 on newegg.com with free 3 day shipping.

I would isolate everything and lay on a peace of wood just the mobo with cpu and ram and power supply. Short the turn on pins and see i the cpu fan starts and listen for peeps. Then add the video card and keep going untill you run into problems. If nothing happend with the bare mobo, cpu and ram try just cpu and mobo, see if you get beeps or if cpu fan turns on. Try different PSU even if you have a new one. Be sure the extra 12v for the mobo is plugged in from the psu as well.

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

is the motherboard active at all? it may have gotten fried in a power surge overnight, i would try testing that.

Yea I got it about three hours ago, its doing the same thing that the original MOBO was.

I would isolate everything and lay on a peace of wood just the mobo with cpu and ram and power supply. Short the turn on pins and see i the cpu fan starts and listen for peeps. Then add the video card and keep going untill you run into problems. If nothing happend with the bare mobo, cpu and ram try just cpu and mobo, see if you get beeps or if cpu fan turns on. Try different PSU even if you have a new one. Be sure the extra 12v for the mobo is plugged in from the psu as well.

I've tried that. that was what I was talking about when I said bare startup.

Sounds like the CPU is shot. :(

Do you know anyone else who has an LGA775 CPU that you could try, just to verify it's the CPU?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo