Sonic Electronix

Calculator for amperage requirements?

I understand take RMS, divided by your volts. But that leaves a lot of play, as idle I’m 14.2, but the system can play down to 12-13. So what do you actually measure? 3000rms total, (2 1500rms 12s) divided by 13.5v equals 222amps needed. But do I Have to consider the amps are 3000w each?Then incorporate the regular vehicle usage? I was hoping a 220a alternator would suffice, but let me know your math! Maybe another rear battery as well? 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I watched this and it helped me with electrical and AGM batteries. By no means is it 100%, end all be all, but it will give you a good idea

Watching it, trying to do math simultaneously haha I’m like arghh?!? Battery up front is 1000cca so multiply by .7 equals 700ah? Shuriken is 80ah. 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

18 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Watching it, trying to do math simultaneously haha I’m like arghh?!? Battery up front is 1000cca so multiply by .7 equals 700ah? Shuriken is 80ah. 

Cca (cold cranking amps) has nothing to di with it. Just ah (amp hours). Yeah, I had to get as piece of paper and keep pausing the video lol

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Cca (cold cranking amps) has nothing to di with it. Just ah (amp hours). Yeah, I had to get as piece of paper and keep pausing the video lol

Okay. That was the conversion I found for finding the ah without it actually being listed on the battery

5 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Okay. That was the conversion I found for finding the ah without it actually being listed on the battery

Usually, you can find how many amp hours (ah) a battery is. If it lists a bunch of different amounts of time (say 80ah @20 hours- some other number at 10 hours - since other number at 5 hours) we use the ah at 20 hours. What battery are you using? 

Under the hood, it’s a duralast. Lists size and cca and whatnot but no ah. I read there’s no direct correlation between CCA & AH, but something like a 7 or 7.25 constant. 1000cca provides approx 137ah I guess?

5 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Under the hood, it’s a duralast. Lists size and cca and whatnot but no ah. I read there’s no direct correlation between CCA & AH, but something like a 7 or 7.25 constant. 1000cca provides approx 137ah I guess?

I've never heard that... and I can't believe a duralast is putting out 137 ah @ 20 hours. Can you please give me the model duralast? Or if it's a direct replacement for in your car, what kind of car and year is it? Also, are you running a stock alternator? Do you know the amperage it's putting out? How many watts of bass are you looking to run? 

160a stock alternator, 14.2ish at idle with big 3. There will be 2 -smart 3 amps, capable of 3000w but each woofer is only 1500rms so I’m looking to run them somewhere in there

F4A5C4D4-0A94-499E-B5C4-8C7B7491A2BF.jpeg

Archived