Who’s built their own lithium bank?

Watch Parker dacchille on YouTube a little bit.... and he built his own lithium bank. Took 32 cells of 3.2v & 8AH, into a 64AH. What I’m referring to is space restrictions. Messing with my system today, it’s gonna be  too tight to fit my 80ah agm behind the rear truck seat. So instead of a 8 long x 4 deep bank, then stuffed into a battery box, I’m more interested in a 2or3 deep bank by 8 or possibly even 10 or whatever the number needs to be to be at 12v in series. I see all the components in his vid.... let me know y’all’s thoughts. He’s got $449 into his 64AH lithium battery at 27 lbs!

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Yeah bro you can shape them into any size you want, as long as you keep it wired in 4s and have enough in parallel to take your charge/discharge current.  

Im also using headway 38120 (4s24p) in one of my cars and love them, i have three rows of 32 cells that lay flat below my amps, this opened up a shit load of room after removing 2 aged d3100's.

I've been wanting to try the prismatic LFP's at batteryspace but im not sure of the quality at that price, the specs are nice for car audio.

23 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Yeah bro you can shape them into any size you want, as long as you keep it wired in 4s and have enough in parallel to take your charge/discharge current.  

Im also using headway 38120 (4s24p) in one of my cars and love them, i have three rows of 32 cells that lay flat below my amps, this opened up a shit load of room after removing 2 aged d3100's.

I've been wanting to try the prismatic LFP's at batteryspace but im not sure of the quality at that price, the specs are nice for car audio.

So every 4 would give me 40ah at 12.8v ish.... what is your experience compared to agm?

DB1A76F4-2D08-44F5-8F32-E5839F652040.jpeg

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

1 hour ago, JakeW said:

So every 4 would give me 40ah at 12.8v ish.... what is your experience compared to agm?

DB1A76F4-2D08-44F5-8F32-E5839F652040.jpeg

16 cells of the above in 4s4p would give you 40ah/12.8v (14.6 max) assuming the capacity isn't inflated.

I have not had a negative personal experience with lithium yet & I've lost count of how many LFE packs and solar power walls i have built/worked on.

For car audio my experience is float voltage is higher and voltage doesn't swing as much, i can demo all the way to 10% without the engine running an my car still starts, obviously if your are trying to pull more then the pack can handle then your going to have bad results.

1 hour ago, JakeW said:

Every 4 determines series, then the entire bank requires 1 balancer?

Balancing (BMS) is strictly for cells in series but it might also provide temp-cut off and discharge/charge limited circuits.

If you drive 14.6v into a pack of 3.65v cells, they need to stay at the same voltage 100% of the time or you'll end up with an overcharged/undercharged cell or more, you overcharge once and that cell will never perform the same again.

1 hour ago, slowfkncar said:

16 cells of the above in 4s4p would give you 40ah/12.8v (14.6 max) assuming the capacity isn't inflated.

I have not had a negative personal experience with lithium yet & I've lost count of how many LFE packs and solar power walls i have built/worked on.

For car audio my experience is float voltage is higher and voltage doesn't swing as much, i can demo all the way to 10% without the engine running an my car still starts, obviously if your are trying to pull more then the pack can handle then your going to have bad results.

I’m not doing anything real crazy, once I get the dual enclosure I might stay with the 3000w, might step up to 5k. But to do it right I know I’m gonna need that reserve. One question I did have though, if a person wanted to to stack them 2 high, could you just all thread + to +? And make a bank 6 wide, 2 high, 2 deep? 24 cells

3 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

What do you mean thread + to +? You can stack what you want with m6 studs or connect them onto a buss bar.

Regardless of what you do, you'll always need 4 sets of parallel cells wired in series, so 24 cells/4= 6 cells in parallel.

I mean stacking them 2 tall. I realize you can always do separate banks with buss bars. But picture from top to bottom, buss bar, then 2 cells connected by all thread then buss bar. Creating a “taller cell”

Archived