Second Skin Audio

What materials do I need to build a proper enclosure?

Dafaseles

So, I'm using 3/4" MDF, wood glue, and a shit load of screws. 

My question is what do you fine humans use to seal the inside of an enclosure (brands would help me out a lot as well) and am I missing anything? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

fugh mdf. It’s too heavy and flexes more than birch. Your subwoofer enclosure is gonna be big and you are gonna be using a bunch of rms. So birch plywood is the way to go. it’s more durable, weighs less and is stronger. Best wood glue to use is titebond 2. Use 2” course thread drywall #6 or #8 screws on wood pieces. #6 is easier and I think better because of the wood width vs the screw shank width and make sure you put a screw at least every 4” away from each screw. 3” full thread Spax #10 screws to mount the subwoofers. And dap caulk with silicone on the corners.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

So, the enclosure was designed to be 2 1/4" thick on the side walls (3×3/4") the top and bottom are 1 1/2" (2×3/4) because it will be braced by the baffle which will be tripled as well. Plus there's a lot of funky angles in it as well. I thought about birch but I can't find real birch around here. The 2 lumber yards don't carry it and the stuff at home depot it's fake

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

And bolt on metal pole bracing so it’s cleaner looking and stronger. You can scuff, prime and paint the metal poles a matching color or cool color so it looks way better. 

I agree, but there's not really any room I don't think

It’s fsc certified. Whoever told you it was fake was wrong as well. Go check out the Home Depot 3/4”, 4’x8’ birch plywood pieces and it says fsc certified in the title. So it’s official and certified by The Forest Stewardship Council.

2 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You would need bracing. If the guy told you other wise and designed it without bracing then I wouldn’t trust his design. And the Home Depot birch isn’t fake.

Well, it does have a thin...I forget the exact word for it.... sticker?..... on it that gives it that wood look. Not saying it is fake I guess. I'll do you the 3d renderings

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

It’s fsc certified. Whoever told you it was fake was wrong as well. Go check out the Home Depot 3/4”, 4’x8’ birch plywood pieces and it says fsc certified in the title. So it’s official and certified by The Forest Stewardship Council.

I was probably looking at the wrong stuff then. I was in a hurry with my wife

It’s 7 plies of birch veneers adhered with a soy based adhesive. If you don’t like plywood, then there are solid panels too, there is 1” baltic birch panels that are 30”x47” that is gonna be the wood I use on my next build. But it’s like $125 and isn’t at the store. Have to call Home Depot or go there to arrange to get pieces of 1” baltic birch.

Archived