Second Skin Audio

Need a little help. Box design

DizzleDizzle

Trying to build a ported box for 2 Toro force 8s. 

https://toroaudio.com/products/force-8

Using subbox.pro

Port back subs back

This is what I have so far:

Box External Dimensions
Width x Height x Depth40.00" x 14.00" x 13.99"

Material Thickness0.75"

Net Internal Volume2.50 ft3

Tuning Frequency31.4 Hz

Port Area37.50 inch2

Port Inlet Width x Height3.00" x 12.50"

Port Length33.49"

I have no idea if my box design is anywhere near optimal for these subs. The manufacturer recommends a enclosure tuned to 49hz I was thinking closer to 32-33Hz.

I also want to double baffle which i'm having trouble factoring in even though the program I am using has the option I cant seem to select it.? Can someone who knows what they are doing help me out to design a box? Because I sure don't know what im doing.

Will probably have a bunch of questions as I go. I will post them here. Thanks for any and all help.

The manufacturers website recommends a ported box 18 inch wide x 14 inch dept x 12 inch height, a round port 4 inch x 12 inch built out of 3/4 inch wood.

A double baffle will effect your final dimensions and your cuts of wood. There will bean extra .75 inches. The top, sides and bottom but not the back and baffle cuts of wood will need to be adjusted by 3/4 inch deep to keep your internal volume the same. Final depth 14 3/4 Inch. Cut two identical baffles and glue them together OR buy thicker wood for the baffle.

I would suggest combining the two boxes into one with two identical chambers. to get this we ad the two boxes widths together and subtract 3/4 inch because we will have three "side" walls instead of four. Final dimension 36 3/4 inch wide x 14 3/4 inch depth.

🤔

Thank you for your reply lite. Manufacturer reccomends an enclosure tuned to 49hz. I am normally all for sticking with recommended enclosure but in this case want to tune alot lower. Unfortunately the dimensions recommended wont work if tuning lower due to the port needing to be longer than the enclosure can accommodate therefore I am going to go with a slot port.

I was actually contemplating doing it just as you stated making two identical chambers into one enclosure but then figured if I'm going to do all that may as well just go with my own design and keep it to subwoofer spec.

In the design I posted above I actually allowed for extra space for a second baffle and bracing which should bring my final volume down and tuning up some landing me right within 1.2 cubic feet per sub and my desired tuning of 32-33hz but I dont want to do any guessing here.

I'm willing to put in any and all work just need a push in the right direction.

In the past Joe X has done most of my box designs and did a damn good job but I figured its time for me to quit slacking and learn these things for myself.

Also I should maybe add that my main reason for doing a second baffle is that i want to flush mount the subs so I was thinking of maybe just doing a beauty panel of sorts instead of a double baffle. I dont want to use a thicker wood because in my case ita easoer to make a flush mount baffle with 2 seperate pieces than trying to do it from a thicker piece with the router.

Ohh i understand. Ive built a few boxes and have had some really good luck with manufactures specs. Very accurate and loud.

That port is tuned to 49 but f3 of the box is 39 so it would play some decent low notes. Plus you have TWO of them not just one.

But if you did want to get low maybe try to get some more volume, closer to 1.5-75 cubes if you have room.

Double baffle for big heavy subs and/or flush mounting. No problems with just the 3/4 baffle and bracing.

Yea I want it specifically for flush mounting maybe it will help protect the surrounds a little too but I'm not sure we use our cars like work trucks. My sa8 surrounds got pretty tore up with all the hauling we did and I didnt like it. To be honest I may just go back to the idea of runjing sealed until I get a nice box figured out just want to get some bass in it for my wife and I until I can get my expo back on the ground.

Shrug

I was supposed to have it hooked up for her by christmas as a gift so I kinda missed my deadline but we were more worried about keeping our support dog breathing so we relocated most of our bass funds. Thats life I guess 🤷‍♂️. Also I most definetly maybe have the room. You reccomend 1.5 cubes per sub you say? I'm not so much worried about output as long as they hit decent get low and sound good doing it. Then again this is one of them super budget piggie bank recycled ofc installs. So I'm not expecting the world out of it just have high hopes after all I read on these little subs.

While we are here what free enclosure calculator does everyone prefer? Now. Using subbox.pro to calculate and have a visual, using ultimate car audio app for checking how bracing and everything will effect tuning. They both have their downfalls and give different results but are pretty close and used together have been decent tools.

If the main goal is protecting surrounds, grilles are the answer! Life absolutely happens, sometimes bass has to wait. 

If you have the space, definitely maybe, you should use it. Easier to tune and make smaller than larger. If you are worried about the enclosure not hitting low enough try aero port for easier fine tuning maybe? 

Ultimate car audio is p good 👍 

So I was doing like you said I made a box with two identical chambers and a middle wall as a divider. Well I messed up somewhere when I was calculating what size I needed and made the width a inch shorter than it should have been.(I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how I haven't attempted yet) I was planning on running sealed until the ports came in then cutting and adding ports. Well now with the mess up I don't think I have internal space for the ports maybe I can save the box by going external? Also the direct leads are way too short to put ring teminals on and bolt to box with t-nuts and stainless hardware like I normally do whats a good option to hook up direct leads? Should I extend them to use my normal method or just drill into box and pass the speaker wire through?

Edit

Actually now that I double check I think my math was correct thinking yours was off a little lite this is how I figured mine.

Rec. Enclosure 18Wx14Dx12H

18-1.5(walls)= 16.5x2=33"(inside width) +2.25"(3 walls)= 35.25"

I made the box 35.25Wx14Dx12H

Check out?

Also I couldnt figure out how to add attachments do I need a hosting service?

Archived