Sundown Audio

gain and bass eq on bamf 5000

Anthony10111

I'm becoming more and more confident my amp is complete junk and I'm only pushing half the rms I should be. So like I've said before.. I set my gain using 1700rms x 2ohms =3400 squared = 58.3 volts.. I hooked a multimeter up and played a 50hz -3db test ... And set my gain that way... BUT heres my question.. Is it normal to have to bump up the "Bass eq" setting on the amp to get the full rms?? Because if I would've NOT bumped up my bass eq,,, and only turned my gain up,, then I wouldnt have been able to get my 58.3 volts. So I turned my half about 65% up and my bass EQ about 65% up. THEN I was able to get that 58.3 volts... Could that be bad??? Am I clipping my subs to death? The only time my subs have smelled is when I cranked my amp up a bit PAST 58.3 volts to see what itd do for about 20-30 minutes, They weren't warm or even showing a noticable smoke.. Just a lil smelly. So I turned that back down to normal And I havent done that again, Subs are fine tho

10 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

I'm becoming more and more confident my amp is complete junk and I'm only pushing half the rms I should be. So like I've said before.. I set my gain using 1700rms x 2ohms =3400 squared = 58.3 volts.. I hooked a multimeter up and played a 50hz -3db test ... And set my gain that way... BUT heres my question.. Is it normal to have to bump up the "Bass eq" setting on the amp to get the full rms?? Because if I would've NOT bumped up my bass eq,,, and only turned my gain up,, then I wouldnt have been able to get my 58.3 volts. So I turned my half about 65% up and my bass EQ about 65% up. THEN I was able to get that 58.3 volts... Could that be bad??? Am I clipping my subs to death? The only time my subs have smelled is when I cranked my amp up a bit PAST 58.3 volts to see what itd do for about 20-30 minutes, They weren't warm or even showing a noticable smoke.. Just a lil smelly. So I turned that back down to normal And I havent done that again, Subs are fine tho

The bass eq, is considered bass boost. Any bass boost will add distortion. Were you able to clamp the output? I got a clamp meter from harbor freight and measuring the output is very easy using it and another multimeter

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

23 & 131 is what I got using a test tone of 32hz off YouTube sonicelectronix. I used this tone since my enclosure is tuned to 32hz.  3013w output, and a rise to 5.6ohms

B58A304C-6296-46D3-870F-9B7AB7E37AD9.png

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Turn off your bass boost, head unit bass to flat, gain bass knob all the way up, gain on amp down. Volume at 3/4 max volume, hopefully you don’t listen to it any louder than that. Play the tone, then slowly turn up the gain on amp until you can hear distortion, turn back a bit then measure readings. That’ll be your conversion of voltage and amps 

Taramps gets pushed so hard, since they’re conservatively priced, huge power output, and most models come with a clip monitor! It’s very close to an o scope 

image.jpg

Okay I been using this Watts ohms amps volts calculator on rapidtables.com... If u put 2 answers you'll get the other 2 answers... So I put my 58.3 volts and 1700 watts.. And it came out to 23 amps and 1.99 ohms which seems perfect??? So am I getting the power I'm supposed to be??? I think I am, but that doesn't tell me if I'm clipping or not..

Archived