Sundown Audio

Blown Subwoofer and I Dont Know How

602Daddy

I am running 2 15" subs in a custom box tuned to 32 hz. Im currently building a wall for 4 15's and i went to listen to the 2 15's one more time before i removed the box. When i turned the bass on it was VERY quiet and didnt sound like the subs were playing at all. I opened the trunk to take a look, and the subs were moving like crazy but barely any output. 10 seconds later my amp cuts off and theres smoke from the port. I later found that I had my rca's were wired backwards as well as i poked a small hole in the surround but nothing bigger than a pencil point. Anyone have ideas why my sub blew? only the one with the hole blew the other one is fine.

Update!!! I replaced the blown sub with another one and the new one blew. So I did it again and same thing, the same sub blew. I am at a loss of words as to why one sub keeps blowing and the other one just isn’t affected. I ran these subs for months on end full tilt and have never had any issues till now. This is so discouraging I feel like taking everything out of the car and giving up. I NEED HELP 

Have you checked your output voltage at all your speaker outputs? It sounds like your amp is having problems to me. Might be time to get a new one unfortunately

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Your amp isn’t tuned correctly and/or you head unit is clipping too. Tune gain correctly and filters correctly. I know you probably don’t think that because of you playing that amp on the same subwoofers for a while. But clipping from an incorrect gain and/or filter can affect a subwoofer after a few weeks or a few months, even if it’s the same subwoofer. It’s impossible to tune an amplifier without meters. It’s impossible to know the clipping point of a head unit without a meter. If you tune an amp on a head unit volume that is clipping, then no matter if you tuned that amplifier correctly, the head unit is sending a clipped signal to a clean tuned amp, which causes the amp to clip the subwoofers. Or the head unit is sending a clean signal and the amp is tuned wrong and clipping the subwoofers. Smd meters would help.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to replace my headunit, amp, and subs and see how it goes. Ill make sure my gain is set correctly so im not clipping when i get the new products in. THANK YOU. I did not consider my head unit but you may not be wrong. Have a good one yall

Archived