Second Skin Audio

As loud as possible subwoofer system recommendations (Audi A4 B5 Sedan)

Periculum

1 minute ago, Periculum said:

Peak power is 1600w, what about a 2000w amp?

Peak power means squat. What's the RMS?

I would throw down and get that GZ sub. Way more powerful than that JBL and way more upgrade potential

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Peak power means squat. What's the RMS?

I would throw down and get that GZ sub. Way more powerful than that JBL and way more upgrade potential

For sure, but if I could just get an amp (and bigger cables) that would save me loooaaads of money. It is 400w RMS, currently running on a 320w amp.

1 hour ago, Periculum said:

For sure, but if I could just get an amp (and bigger cables) that would save me loooaaads of money. It is 400w RMS, currently running on a 320w amp.

The difference wouldn't even be audible. 

I guess if you wanted to push it, you could throw an 800- 1000 watt amp at that sub, accounting for impedance rise, but you'd have to set the gains perfectly or you'll kill that sub quick. I would say it's not worth it. 

The thing is, if you want to stupid pound like you said you want to, you have to spend the dough. If you spend the money now on that GZ sub and Soundcubed amp, you've got a great base to upgrade from. Save up a little more, get a big alternator. Save up a little more, get a lithium battery. Little more, upgrade the mids and highs. And then a little more and go buy another GZ sub and another Soundcubed amp,  get a custom box built, and show your friends what "6000" watts of bass feels like. 

You're not going to make the sub you have much louder. But I get it. Spending money sucks. 

Just tossing this into the mix but would about spending money on a custom enclosure?  Those cars have a firewall behind the back seat and most have a slo pass through in the middle. You can build a customer ported box that blows through the seat and a custom box if done correctly will always out perform a prefab box. Also is this sustem going to expand and grow as time goes on? Or you just want to spend the 2k and be done? Just keep that in mind on your intentions so you do pit

your self into a corner and spend money on something that is only going to be used for a little before you upgrade. Also the battery is in the trunk of the car o believe. Right? If so less money on an amp kit because your wire runs will be short. You say you want it be loud but that’s all relative. Everyone has their own option on what is loud and what is not loud. But those cars and not hard but also not the easiest to get sound into the cabin. Also why do you want your neighbors to hear you wouldn’t you focuse on making it as loud as possible in the cabin and what is sounds like at your neighbors house is what it is? Also having too Much power in An Amp is always better the. Maxing out the gains. As far as s as n alternator just run what you have until it dies then upgrade. Just be ready because when it goes your car will be dead in the water. 

12 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I guess if you wanted to push it, you could throw an 800- 1000 watt amp at that sub, accounting for impedance rise, but you'd have to set the gains perfectly or you'll kill that sub quick. I would say it's not worth it. 

The thing is, if you want to stupid pound like you said you want to, you have to spend the dough. If you spend the money now on that GZ sub and Soundcubed amp, you've got a great base to upgrade from. Save up a little more, get a big alternator. Save up a little more, get a lithium battery. Little more, upgrade the mids and highs. And then a little more and go buy another GZ sub and another Soundcubed amp,  get a custom box built, and show your friends what "6000" watts of bass feels like. 

You're not going to make the sub you have much louder. But I get it. Spending money sucks. 

Understand, thanks for the help mate. I'll see what I end up doing :) Might find something used instead of purchasing everything new and losing 75% of the value :P

9 hours ago, stingray72 said:

Im not sure if this is what the op is thinking but i wouldnt get a second battery without having the ho alternator to charge it because youll just kill the battery in short order effectively wasting good money.

connecting it to the main battery is what I thought.

21 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

14 hours ago, Joe mama said:

Just tossing this into the mix but would about spending money on a custom enclosure?  Those cars have a firewall behind the back seat and most have a slo pass through in the middle. You can build a customer ported box that blows through the seat and a custom box if done correctly will always out perform a prefab box. Also is this sustem going to expand and grow as time goes on? Or you just want to spend the 2k and be done? Just keep that in mind on your intentions so you do pit

your self into a corner and spend money on something that is only going to be used for a little before you upgrade. Also the battery is in the trunk of the car o believe. Right? If so less money on an amp kit because your wire runs will be short. You say you want it be loud but that’s all relative. Everyone has their own option on what is loud and what is not loud. But those cars and not hard but also not the easiest to get sound into the cabin. Also why do you want your neighbors to hear you wouldn’t you focuse on making it as loud as possible in the cabin and what is sounds like at your neighbors house is what it is? Also having too Much power in An Amp is always better the. Maxing out the gains. As far as s as n alternator just run what you have until it dies then upgrade. Just be ready because when it goes your car will be dead in the water. 

I found something for sale used which might be good, but I honestly have no idea. 2x 12 inch power acoustik mofo 122x in what the owner says is a very good enclosure that has been put a lot of money into. Then I could buy a 3000w amp to power them? They are 1500w each, the guy selling said to connect them to a 2500w amp with 1 ohm.

He was selling for 300$, I can probably get it down to 250$. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Periculum said:

I found something for sale used which might be good, but I honestly have no idea. 2x 12 inch power acoustik mofo 122x in what the owner says is a very good enclosure that has been put a lot of money into. Then I could buy a 3000w amp to power them? They are 1500w each, the guy selling said to connect them to a 2500w amp with 1 ohm.

He was selling for 300$, I can probably get it down to 250$. What do you guys think?

I don't recommend anything Power Acoustik. They straight up have no problem lying to their customers about power handling and about amplifier output power. Can those subs handle it? Maybe. But if their subwoofer ratings are anything like their amplifier ratings, then no. 

Watch amp dyno videos on YouTube on Power Acoustik amplifiers and you'll see what I'm taking about. 

This is just my opinion

Archived