Sonic Electronix

6 hours ago, Ceeze90 said:

I’ll have to try that. I was looking on the mechman site and it states it’s imperative to run cables directly to battery. Positive and negative. You think I would have to run two runs of 1/0 from the battery all the way back to the alternator mounting bolts for the grounds?

So, this is what I'm going to try. I don't know if it'll work, because I haven't done it. I haven't ever needed to do it in the past because I've always had an AGM up front. Now, I'm just going to have a lithium in the bed. 

I'm going to try and get my ground feed from the frame, then attach that to the alternator. I have a stupid voltage controller on my truck, so I have to feed my ground through that, then go to the alternator. You don't have one in a 99. Chevy stayed with those in 2006 I believe. 

From what I've come to believe, which could be wrong, is that grounding to your engine block is basically the same as grounding straight to your alternator. And you have grounds from your engine block to your frame, and your battery to your frame. But, you can never have too many grounds. When it comes to electrical, overkill is always better. 

Have you ever watched the video where Steve rewires the Tahoe? Granted he's pushing around 30,000 watts, but the amount of grounds this dude uses, and where he puts all of them is insane to see. But it goes to show you, like I said, overkill is good. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived