Jump to content

Sub clipping after setting gains - SMD DD1


Recommended Posts

Alpine 172-BT - using bluetooth connection for music, generally spotify and youtube for music sources, phones always set to max volume, zero bluetooth db boost in headunit settings

Memphis Audio PRX1500.1 - 1500w @ 1ohm  - 1.27cf sealed enclosure

Soundstream Reserve 12" 1000w - wired @ 1ohm 

SMD DD1

 

HU - Everything is zero, flat, no boosts, no bass engine, except HPF @ 80hz (to reduce the 40hz tone pounding on door speakers when setting gain on sub amp)

Amp - Gain @ lowest, LPF @ highest, Subsonic Filter @ lowest, 40hz bass boost turned completely down/off

 

Disconnected sub speaker wires from amp.  Ran track 1 (40hz 0db) to find max volume from HU.  34/35 volume is highest HU volume before distortion.

 

I first tried using tracks 3 (40hz -5db), 5 (40hz -10db), and 7 (40hz -15db) with my Memphis Audio Gain remote control knob set at half way.  I could not get the distortion light to stay on continuously at any gain level on the amp.

I then decided to turn the remote gain knob all the way up when setting gain on the amplifier.  Using tracks 3, 5, or 7, I found that I ended up with my amp gain setting around the same point, about 60-70% turned up before the distortion light would come on continuously.  I always backed the amp's gain off 1 or 2 clicks after finding the point it would light up the distortion light.  Confirmed distortion light was off after pulling away the flathead screw driver.

 

Regardless of which 40hz track (3,5 or 7) I set the amp's gain to, it would immediately start clipping the sub once I started listening to music.  Even at lower volumes on the HU.  I could barely turn the remote gain control knob up 25% (after adjusting amp's gain with the remote knob at 100%) before the sub would start clipping/burping.  Lost by Gorilla Zoe, On My Level by Wiz Khalifa, Rain by Breakage were my immediate go to songs to test the sub - all played from Spotify app.

 

 

 

I am fairly inexperienced with car audio, though I do my research before I get into new hobbies.  About 8 years ago, I owned 2 used 12" JL Audio W3s in a custom sealed box that I had "tuned" by ear (box was made to fit in a F Body Camero before I threw it in the back of my Volkswagen GTI).  I ran them very hard and never had burping/clipping issues like I'm experiencing now.  They ran great until one of the surrounds deteriorated from old age and being exposed to the Texas heat.  I say that to say this, they may had been in a box that was perfectly built for them, while I am using a cheap prebuilt box for this current Soundstream sub.

 

I honestly do not know where or why this clipping is happening.  Don't know if I'm setting my gains correctly, not setting my HU correctly, not understanding how my remote gain knob works, if this sub will not work in this enclosure, etc. etc... The sub sounds great, hits fairly good for a single 12" .. I would just like to have a more definitive "max" to set it at without having such a high ceiling on the remote control knob.

 

Should I try using the DD1 to set the gain using the 0db track?  Should I try setting the gain with my subwoofer level turned up on the HU settings?  Should I replace this remote gain control know with a different one (tbh this knob is very small and hard to adjust anyways)?  Should I look into building or purchasing a custom built box for this sub to help it perform healthly? 

 

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to get all the info out there.  Thanks for your time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Tex db said:

Alpine 172-BT - using bluetooth connection for music, generally spotify and youtube for music sources, phones always set to max volume, zero bluetooth db boost in headunit settings

Memphis Audio PRX1500.1 - 1500w @ 1ohm  - 1.27cf sealed enclosure

Soundstream Reserve 12" 1000w - wired @ 1ohm 

SMD DD1

 

HU - Everything is zero, flat, no boosts, no bass engine, except HPF @ 80hz (to reduce the 40hz tone pounding on door speakers when setting gain on sub amp)

Amp - Gain @ lowest, LPF @ highest, Subsonic Filter @ lowest, 40hz bass boost turned completely down/off

 

Disconnected sub speaker wires from amp.  Ran track 1 (40hz 0db) to find max volume from HU.  34/35 volume is highest HU volume before distortion.

 

I first tried using tracks 3 (40hz -5db), 5 (40hz -10db), and 7 (40hz -15db) with my Memphis Audio Gain remote control knob set at half way.  I could not get the distortion light to stay on continuously at any gain level on the amp.

I then decided to turn the remote gain knob all the way up when setting gain on the amplifier.  Using tracks 3, 5, or 7, I found that I ended up with my amp gain setting around the same point, about 60-70% turned up before the distortion light would come on continuously.  I always backed the amp's gain off 1 or 2 clicks after finding the point it would light up the distortion light.  Confirmed distortion light was off after pulling away the flathead screw driver.

 

Regardless of which 40hz track (3,5 or 7) I set the amp's gain to, it would immediately start clipping the sub once I started listening to music.  Even at lower volumes on the HU.  I could barely turn the remote gain control knob up 25% (after adjusting amp's gain with the remote knob at 100%) before the sub would start clipping/burping.  Lost by Gorilla Zoe, On My Level by Wiz Khalifa, Rain by Breakage were my immediate go to songs to test the sub - all played from Spotify app.

 

 

 

I am fairly inexperienced with car audio, though I do my research before I get into new hobbies.  About 8 years ago, I owned 2 used 12" JL Audio W3s in a custom sealed box that I had "tuned" by ear (box was made to fit in a F Body Camero before I threw it in the back of my Volkswagen GTI).  I ran them very hard and never had burping/clipping issues like I'm experiencing now.  They ran great until one of the surrounds deteriorated from old age and being exposed to the Texas heat.  I say that to say this, they may had been in a box that was perfectly built for them, while I am using a cheap prebuilt box for this current Soundstream sub.

 

I honestly do not know where or why this clipping is happening.  Don't know if I'm setting my gains correctly, not setting my HU correctly, not understanding how my remote gain knob works, if this sub will not work in this enclosure, etc. etc... The sub sounds great, hits fairly good for a single 12" .. I would just like to have a more definitive "max" to set it at without having such a high ceiling on the remote control knob.

 

Should I try using the DD1 to set the gain using the 0db track?  Should I try setting the gain with my subwoofer level turned up on the HU settings?  Should I replace this remote gain control know with a different one (tbh this knob is very small and hard to adjust anyways)?  Should I look into building or purchasing a custom built box for this sub to help it perform healthly? 

 

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to get all the info out there.  Thanks for your time.

I think the signal from your phone is where you're getting distortion. Try getting a 40 hz -10db tone from Spotify or at least youtube, then set your gains using your phone and Bluetooth. See if that helps

And set your gains with the bass knob all the way up, or at least close. Turning it up after you set your gains can introduce distortion as well. 

It shouldn't make a difference while tuning, but LPF should be set around 80 hz while the HPF or subsonic filter should be set a half octave below the tuning of the box. So if the box port is tuned to 32 then that filter  should be set at 24 hz. Unless it's sealed, then go ahead and turn it off/ all the way to the left. 

Also, are your mids on an amp as well? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My subsonic is set at 31 hz my box is tuned to 32 but my amp has a 12 db octave and you can find those tracks for the dd-1 that you can download I have mine downloaded

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I think the signal from your phone is where you're getting distortion. Try getting a 40 hz -10db tone from Spotify or at least youtube, then set your gains using your phone and Bluetooth. See if that helps

And set your gains with the bass knob all the way up, or at least close. Turning it up after you set your gains can introduce distortion as well. 

It shouldn't make a difference while tuning, but LPF should be set around 80 hz while the HPF or subsonic filter should be set a half octave below the tuning of the box. So if the box port is tuned to 32 then that filter  should be set at 24 hz. Unless it's sealed, then go ahead and turn it off/ all the way to the left. 

Also, are your mids on an amp as well? 

 

Will try tuning thru the phone today.

 

It's a sealed box.  IIRC, Soundstream says 12" sub in a box this size is tuned around 49~ hz.

 

I do not have an amp for my mids/highs yet.  Front 6x9s have been replaced with a pair of Infinity 2ways.  Rear speakers and tweeters are stock at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big Tex db said:

 

Will try tuning thru the phone today.

 

It's a sealed box.  IIRC, Soundstream says 12" sub in a box this size is tuned around 49~ hz.

 

I do not have an amp for my mids/highs yet.  Front 6x9s have been replaced with a pair of Infinity 2ways.  Rear speakers and tweeters are stock at the moment.

So, I just actually went through this an hour ago in a coworkers truck. Set up the DD-1 to find the head unit max volume. He listens primarily to pandora and youtube through his phone. I told him to turn his phone all the way up, then down 1 click. We went on YouTube and used a 40 hz -3db track. His pioneer deck went 100% without distortion. I asked him, just for shits and giggles to give it that last click on the phone. He did, BOOM, red light. Went back down a click, no red light. 

So if I would have just set his amp and head unit up using just the DD-1 CD, it wouldn't have made a difference, because when he started listening to music through his phone, he would have been clipping. 

 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tuned using Rockford Fosgates 40hz 0 and -10db tracks on Spotify.

 

I yielded similar results...

 

My head unit didn't distort at max volume, was able to turn up to 35/35.   My gain on sub distorted around 60% turned up.  I backed all the way to about 50% gain to play it safe.

 

I am still getting clipping even at lower volumes.  Remote gain knob barely turned up 20-25%.

 

When I originally installed the sub, I did not own a DD1 yet.  When I conservatively tuned the gain by ear, it seemed 30% was about all the amp would turn up before sub would start clipping.

 

I'm kinda stumped. 

 

 

Finishing up last shift at work before holiday break.  Will try with phone turned down a click.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turning phone down a click from max didn't change anything immediately.

 

I'm thinking about removing the gain knob from the equation and giving it another shot.

 

Might try tuning at 40hz 0db as well to play it extra conservative.  Frustrating having so little control from the knob.

 

I don't hear any extra noise, whine, hissing in my speakers or my sub.  Would external noise in the lines cause distortion to occur? 

 

2012 F150 quad cab if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you know you're clipping after setting the gain? 

Are you setting your gain with the bass knob turned all the way up first? 

You're not adding any extras after tuning are you? Like bass boost, or a different setting on the head unit? 

 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Electrical problem your Electrical might not be able to handle what it's drawing that will cause clipping 2

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

How do you know you're clipping after setting the gain? 

Are you setting your gain with the bass knob turned all the way up first? 

You're not adding any extras after tuning are you? Like bass boost, or a different setting on the head unit? 

 

 

Everything is flat after tuning except 80hz LPF on HU.  Bass knob is set to max when setting gain on amp.

 

I can hear the sub burping, or sputtering.  It makes a repeated thud/pounding noise.  As if it's bottoming out or being stopped repeatedly.  I assume this is clipping/distortion from too much gain.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...