Jump to content

First Build Trial and Error


Recommended Posts

Posted
7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, at 75% volume, do you like the bass? If so, turn it up to 75%, then adjust the gain on the mids and highs amp to blend with the sub. 

I like the bass at 75. But I haven’t gotten far enough yet with my doors. They are just “decent” after market doors running off of the amp on my HU. I don’t have a 4 Chanel for them 

Posted
7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, at 75% volume, do you like the bass? If so, turn it up to 75%, then adjust the gain on the mids and highs amp to blend with the sub. 

I guess maybe what I’m asking is. I like my door volume at around 24-28. When tuning with the o scope. It I set the volume to 28 and have that be my max before clip. Will I be able to turn the gain up on the sub? Or is that not how it works. My thought process is…. If I’m turning the HU volume down almost 10 clicks while turning. I should be able to set the gain higher. Am I wrong?

Posted

Here’s 2 quick pictures to show the completed build. Not factory perfection but I’m very happy with it. 

6C06BF66-380D-4CC2-9C2B-F3CB8C879F49.jpeg

353027E8-CBEB-4D54-9956-315FE89C89B1.jpeg

Posted
2 hours ago, molly4lyfe said:

I guess maybe what I’m asking is. I like my door volume at around 24-28. When tuning with the o scope. It I set the volume to 28 and have that be my max before clip. Will I be able to turn the gain up on the sub? Or is that not how it works. My thought process is…. If I’m turning the HU volume down almost 10 clicks while turning. I should be able to set the gain higher. Am I wrong?

Ok, then yes, you should be able to reset the amplifier gain at a different volume to compensate. Just pay attention the the oscilloscope wave. Even at low volumes, you can still clip your subwoofer into failure (which it sounds like you already know). 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Ok, then yes, you should be able to reset the amplifier gain at a different volume to compensate. Just pay attention the the oscilloscope wave. Even at low volumes, you can still clip your subwoofer into failure (which it sounds like you already know). 

Yes I’m very careful. I usually see a clip and then turn it down To a clean wave. And then down some more. When I go to 34 or 35 I LOVE the bass. But my door speakers want to cry. I’m thinking about getting a small 4 channel to power the doors but I wanna wait till I do big 3 and alternator upgrade. 

Posted
1 hour ago, molly4lyfe said:

Yes I’m very careful. I usually see a clip and then turn it down To a clean wave. And then down some more. When I go to 34 or 35 I LOVE the bass. But my door speakers want to cry. I’m thinking about getting a small 4 channel to power the doors but I wanna wait till I do big 3 and alternator upgrade. 

You probably don't need to wait to get the alternator upgrade to get a 4 channel in there. 4 channel amps (the majority of the time) are a lot more efficient than mono amps playing bass. The big 3 is important though. 

If you amplify the mids and highs, you'll be able to easily set crossovers for those speakers, that will help protect them from playing too low and playing too high. So that'll help with the harshness of the door speakers as well

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Posted
37 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

You probably don't need to wait to get the alternator upgrade to get a 4 channel in there. 4 channel amps (the majority of the time) are a lot more efficient than mono amps playing bass. The big 3 is important though. 

If you amplify the mids and highs, you'll be able to easily set crossovers for those speakers, that will help protect them from playing too low and playing too high. So that'll help with the harshness of the door speakers as well

Okay perfect, thanks for your help. Last question I guess is, to wire a 4 channels I need another power wire coming off the battery correct? I don’t want to tap into the existing 4 gauge I have running right?

Posted
3 hours ago, molly4lyfe said:

Okay perfect, thanks for your help. Last question I guess is, to wire a 4 channels I need another power wire coming off the battery correct? I don’t want to tap into the existing 4 gauge I have running right?

Yeah, I would either run a new, dedicated 4 awg wire back to the 4 channel, or upgrade the existing 4 awg to 1/0, then get a distribution block, then have 2 4 awg cables coming from that. Either way would be fine. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Posted
4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, I would either run a new, dedicated 4 awg wire back to the 4 channel, or upgrade the existing 4 awg to 1/0, then get a distribution block, then have 2 4 awg cables coming from that. Either way would be fine. 

Okay thanks, that's not in the plans for a while I don't think. But I was able to tune the gain but have the HU volume set to 30 instead of 37 so I'm guessing we should be slamming tomorrow. I used the exact same 40htz test tone and the gain went up a pretty decent amount. I was quite surprised to say the least. It was only 7 Degrees when I tuned it and my fingers were shaking. Didn't have the man power to test it out much besides with the truck doors wide open. Ill post an update tomorrow. I wish I did some more documentation of the build but I got super busy and eager to get it in so that just didn't happen. But I'm guessing this thread will close here until I do some Mids. Thanks for the support and tips from my 2 followers lol.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3097 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...