Sonic Electronix

Hey peeps,

Am in the market for a pair of 6.5s, got my eyes on a set. They come in eighter 4ohm or 8ohm.

I have an amplifier that will be able to play the 8ohm pair bridged but not enough power to play the 4ohm in stereo if i take those instead.

My question is, besides being able to hear my music is stereo, is there any other harmful things that can happen if i do the 8ohm bridged? Also,will 4ohm bridged generate more heat than 4ohm stereo to potentially damage the amp?

2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

What amplifier is it? 

And what subs are they? 

Its a pair of midrange 6.5s. They are rated 130rms each. The jl jd 400.4, if i get the speakers in 8 ohm and wire them bridged at 4ohm i will get 250rms for the 2 speaker from the amp. However, the amp does 75rms at 4ohm, so if i get the speaker in 4ohm they will only get 75rms wired in stereo. I know bridging is more heat and strain on the amp,trying to keep things safe and maintain sound quality. Is it ok to bridge?

I own that amp (the old JX version, not the new JD version). As long as you're OK with losing the left and the right fade (but who uses them anyway) bridging will be fine. I ran one of my JX400.4 bridged on 1&2 and 3&4 and that thing never even got hot. 

And, JL says it'll do 200 watts bridged×2 at 14.7. Not that that really matters though. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

45 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I own that amp (the old JX version, not the new JD version). As long as you're OK with losing the left and the right fade (but who uses them anyway) bridging will be fine. I ran one of my JX400.4 bridged on 1&2 and 3&4 and that thing never even got hot. 

And, JL says it'll do 200 watts bridged×2 at 14.7. Not that that really matters though. 

Nice. Ill go for the bridge then. Just wanted to make sure the equipment safe

Archived