Voltage confusion 2018 Cadillac cts

So here’s the problem. I drive a 2018 Cadillac CTS. I recently put a system in it. Running a salt 4k and a jp 234. JS 300 amp alt, xs power d4800 and a jy hp40. Turn the car on and it’s at about 13.0, goes up to maybe 13.8 after a few seconds, there are times it will go up to 14.8 seems rare to be there but when idle only 13.8. Both when I’m not running the system. When it’s in the 14s my system works great the volts don’t drop too low, but when it’s only in the 13s the voltage will drop way too much, how can I keep the voltage high is there something wrong?

1 hour ago, BassheadRob said:

So here’s the problem. I drive a 2018 Cadillac CTS. I recently put a system in it. Running a salt 4k and a jp 234. JS 300 amp alt, xs power d4800 and a jy hp40. Turn the car on and it’s at about 13.0, goes up to maybe 13.8 after a few seconds, there are times it will go up to 14.8 seems rare to be there but when idle only 13.8. Both when I’m not running the system. When it’s in the 14s my system works great the volts don’t drop too low, but when it’s only in the 13s the voltage will drop way too much, how can I keep the voltage high is there something wrong?

Your car has a voltage regulating system. It's the plastic ring on the negative cable that goes from your battery to the engine block. 

Really, the only way around it is to go with an externally regulated alternator. 

Other than that, I know on the V8's, GM hasn't changed their alternator mounting since 1986, so I was able to mount an alternator from an '05 in my Silverado (before GM started controlling the voltage coming from the alternator to save gas). It had a 4 pin plug. I got a 4 pin plug with a single wire coming from it, and I just connected that to a 12 volt switched source (exciter wire). Then I found a bypass plug to plug into my stock 2 pin plug to make the ECU think that the RVC (regulated voltage controller) is doing its job. Constant 14.7v. That being said, if you have the V6, in not 100% sure if this is an option. Maybe something to look into. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, BassheadRob said:

It was just an automotive repair shop close to where I was at.

I would think they would be able to deal with any upgrade to wanted. 

The easiest solution would be an external regulator for the alternator I would think. 

I would get ahold of JS and see what kind of options you have available to you to bypass the voltage controller in the vehicle. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Dropping to 13volts is nothing, hell, that's over battery rest. What is the issue again...?

13 volts,  means your running right off thw alternator. Your not even using your battery reserve.  People would kill to hold over 13v at full rip most of the time. I dont understand your question or concerns. 

Car audio is 12v, if no one was aware. And can be fine way way way WAY lower. Dropping into the 11s, or even 10s is fine. Are your amps shutting down from low voltage???? What is your issue even? 

(Man, holding 13 would make me wet back back in the day)

Dude above is trying to say your rig is PCM controlled,its for gas savings. 13s are perfectly fine. Hell, 11s can be. Hell, 10s will run your shit fine. If your amps aren't shutting down from low voltage,... or whatever else your seeing,.. your more than fine. 

Adding more batteries, wont even increase your voltage over 13.... and running a 16v system will or could introduce a entite other shit show. 

Archived