Second Skin Audio

Kicker 12“ L7 Qclass in 2.25 @ 32hz

Hello, I'm new to this Forum not too new to car audio, how ever I'm in uncharted waters with this particular issue. 

My truck is a 2017 GMC Sierra.

Current equipment...

Mechman 370 alternator

XSPower 4800 and D1200

Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX

Stinger 9000 RCAs 

Mosconi Aerospace 8to12 DSP 

2) AudioControl LC4.800s 

2) AudioControl LC1.1500s

Front stage: Morel Supremo 602

Center console: JL 10“ TW1 

LMI 2.5 rear seat lift 

Rear sub: Raven 12XL 

Sealed 2.ft3 with 50% Black Hole Stuff.

So... Leading to my issue. 

I got a wild hair and wanted a LOT of BASS.  So I disconnected the JL and took the Raven/enclosure out. 

I bought a Kicker 12L7 Q and built a ported 2.25 ft3 tuned to 32hz. It's a typical box that slides in with the rear seats up. 

.....it sounds like trash. The higher frequencies sound great, the hit extreme hard and accurate. But, once the frequencies drop low it starts to sounds muddy and the output is very little. 

Not sure if I should build a smaller ported enclosure at 1.75 or go up to 3 ft3 and if I need to change to the tuning of the enclosure to a hight Hz. kicker seems to model theirs around 42ish Hz.  

OR is this the wrong sub to even be messing with in a ported enclosure as the QTS is 0.7615

Thanks for any advice. 

20 minutes ago, Joe X said:

How much power are you pushing to that sub, you see that LC1.1500 delivers over 1600 WRMS @ 2 ohm, did you set your subsonic filter?

I do not have a HPF set on the DSP. However the amp does have a fixed HPF at 24hz.  

The sub is a dual 4ohm. So it wired at 2ohms. 

Any recommendations of a good staring point for a Subsonic HPF?

Subsonic is usually set half an octave below tuning which happens to be 24Hz, power to 1000-1200W, not 1600+ please, also defeat all bass boost, EQ and such for the tests, check gains and verify you are sourcing a clean signal to the amp, if it doesn't do better maybe post your box design with all measurements and check if there are any leaks somewhere in the box.

After impedance rise, that amplifier should be fine for that sub. That shouldn't be an issue. 

I think it's more an enclosure issue than anything. 

I've seen that those square kickers like a ton of room... like...a TON of room. Kicker does recommend you tune high, but you lose a lot of the low end of the spectrum when doing so. 

My buddy has a 15" square Q, and we have his in a 6 cubic foot box (gross)  tuned to 27 hz. Not saying that's what you should do, but we had the sub graphed and that's what curve we thought was best. It sounds good to us, but sound quality of very subjective as well. What sounds good to us, might not sound good to you. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 hours ago, Joe X said:

Subsonic is usually set half an octave below tuning which happens to be 24Hz, power to 1000-1200W, not 1600+ please, also defeat all bass boost, EQ and such for the tests, check gains and verify you are sourcing a clean signal to the amp, if it doesn't do better maybe post your box design with all measurements and check if there are any leaks somewhere in the box.

No bass boost and the EQ is fairly flat blow 120. Small 2db bump at 105 is the most EQ bump. I ran the Raven up to 90hz and the midbass down to 120.    I know the midbass at 120 and was play with the LPF and set it to 78hz as of now. 

Tomorrow I'll get the DM RTA out and reconfirm my gain setting. The AccuBass is disabled as well. 

I'll post up the box enclosure dimensions shortly.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

After impedance rise, that amplifier should be fine for that sub. That shouldn't be an issue. 

I think it's more an enclosure issue than anything. 

I've seen that those square kickers like a ton of room... like...a TON of room. Kicker does recommend you tune high, but you lose a lot of the low end of the spectrum when doing so. 

My buddy has a 15" square Q, and we have his in a 6 cubic foot box (gross)  tuned to 27 hz. Not saying that's what you should do, but we had the sub graphed and that's what curve we thought was best. It sounds good to us, but sound quality of very subjective as well. What sounds good to us, might not sound good to you. 

I'm thinking possibly an enclosure issue.  I'll post up the dimensions and build of the enclosure.

The enclosure specs check out basically, small difference is due to the driver displacement of different drivers. Port area 37.5 sqin.

You know you could have a leak after the messy job of changing the driver hole from round to square, do you have a picture or pictures of that?

Archived