Electrical to run 7000watts

Hey guys I have a 5th gen 4runner. Will a 270amp HO alternator, lithium in the trunk, (yellow top under the hood, not sure what size but that’s what is in there now) be sufficient for about 7000ish watts? I’ve heard good things about lithium and that they’ll charge quicker than agm batteries plus I like the idea of just one strong battery instead of multiple agms in my trunk. Would take up less space

That all depends on the chemistry of the lithium (LifePo4 or LTO) and the amount of ah (amp hours) the lithium you'll be running is. 

On top of that, my personally, I wouldn't run an AGM and lithium. I wouldn't mix battery chemistries. Though people have done it and have had no problems, it could end up greatly diminishing your batteries lifespan. If you insist on running both, put a battery isolator between them. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 1/23/2022 at 6:02 PM, Dafaseles said:

That all depends on the chemistry of the lithium (LifePo4 or LTO) and the amount of ah (amp hours) the lithium you'll be running is. 

On top of that, my personally, I wouldn't run an AGM and lithium. I wouldn't mix battery chemistries. Though people have done it and have had no problems, it could end up greatly diminishing your batteries lifespan. If you insist on running both, put a battery isolator between them. 

So I could literally have one large lithium batter to run my entire car and system in the trunk? How would I connect the stock power wires for all the car’s accessories from the trunk to the rear? Then if I do have that lithium batt in back I would just run like two runs of 0 gauge from alt to battery in back, correct? 

2 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

So I could literally have one large lithium batter to run my entire car and system in the trunk? How would I connect the stock power wires for all the car’s accessories from the trunk to the rear? Then if I do have that lithium batt in back I would just run like two runs of 0 gauge from alt to battery in back, correct? 

You would do a battery delete under the hood. 2 runs from the alternator to the battery delete where your under the hood battery would sit. Then connect the stock wiring to that like you would a battery. Then 2 runs from there, back to the lithium. That's what I'm doing. 

You can find an empty battery case online to put in place, or, what I'm doing, I just built a wood plank, secured it, and attached a battery terminal to it. You can also use a solid or fused distribution block to accomplish the same thing. 

7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

You would do a battery delete under the hood. 2 runs from the alternator to the battery delete where your under the hood battery would sit. Then connect the stock wiring to that like you would a battery. Then 2 runs from there, back to the lithium. That's what I'm doing. 

You can find an empty battery case online to put in place, or, what I'm doing, I just built a wood plank, secured it, and attached a battery terminal to it. You can also use a solid or fused distribution block to accomplish the same thing. 

Thank you! Will be a problem for when the time comes lol but will I have to charge my lithium battery and such when I'm not driving my car? last thing I want is to get in my car after work and have it not start lol

Unless it gets extremely cold where you live, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had a problem with it. 

I put mine on a charger maybe once a month. Not because it needs it, but it's just a good practice to do so. It keeps the battery in good working order. 

4 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Unless it gets extremely cold where you live, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had a problem with it. 

I put mine on a charger maybe once a month. Not because it needs it, but it's just a good practice to do so. It keeps the battery in good working order. 

I live in Northern Indiana and it has been in the single digits earlier this week but if I have to buy a small lithium charger I can. I don't know if you remember but I am the 2 sundown x15 on 6k 4runner guy haha. I have 4 deaf bounce Arnolds for my each of my two front doors and got custom speaker pods for them too even. Box is almost done being painted (can't finish it yet because of the paint/cold weather). Have not gotten tweeters (only doing two tweeters in the front) or multichannel amp yet. All I have to do is install my door speakers and electrical, put box in, subs. I have only found one HO alt for my specific car online and I am assuming you can't get TOO big of an alternator, right? gonna get a 270amp alternator and sadly my alternator is in the very bottom of my engine bay. Dyin to get it done! it is hard to find the time and energy to do it tho

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

I live in Northern Indiana and it has been in the single digits earlier this week but if I have to buy a small lithium charger I can. I don't know if you remember but I am the 2 sundown x15 on 6k 4runner guy haha. I have 4 deaf bounce Arnolds for my each of my two front doors and got custom speaker pods for them too even. Box is almost done being painted (can't finish it yet because of the paint/cold weather). Have not gotten tweeters (only doing two tweeters in the front) or multichannel amp yet. All I have to do is install my door speakers and electrical, put box in, subs. I have only found one HO alt for my specific car online and I am assuming you can't get TOO big of an alternator, right? gonna get a 270amp alternator and sadly my alternator is in the very bottom of my engine bay. Dyin to get it done! it is hard to find the time and energy to do it tho

Trust me, if anyone knows the pain of this build is taking too long, it's me lol. I'm still not done with step one (the doors) but I'm getting there. 

No, you can't have too much alternator. Now, dealing with lithium, you can have too much voltage. LifePo4 cells don't like to be charged in the 15v range, but LTO cells are fine with it. 

I have a LifePo4 battery, and my voltage controller in my truck likes to fluctuate the voltage coming from the alternator from 13.5 sometimes, up to 15.3 ish sometimes. So I had to bypass it so I can keep it at a steady 14.7v. So keep that in mind when choosing what lithium you want as well 

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Trust me, if anyone knows the pain of this build is taking too long, it's me lol. I'm still not done with step one (the doors) but I'm getting there. 

No, you can't have too much alternator. Now, dealing with lithium, you can have too much voltage. LifePo4 cells don't like to be charged in the 15v range, but LTO cells are fine with it. 

I have a LifePo4 battery, and my voltage controller in my truck likes to fluctuate the voltage coming from the alternator from 13.5 sometimes, up to 15.3 ish sometimes. So I had to bypass it so I can keep it at a steady 14.7v. So keep that in mind when choosing what lithium you want as well 

It’s agonizing isn’t it???! I blew my single 12 I had in my car so I have zero bass in my car and it sucks. Itchin to get subs back in. Oh ok well overnight I decided I’d just get a few agms instead. Feel like it would be simpler for me and a little more plug and play. One day I think I will go lithium but for my first time building my somewhat “big” system I will stick with agms. Now agms you could charge with any voltage and be ok, correct? Won’t have to get a voltage regulator, will I?

2 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

It’s agonizing isn’t it???! I blew my single 12 I had in my car so I have zero bass in my car and it sucks. Itchin to get subs back in. Oh ok well overnight I decided I’d just get a few agms instead. Feel like it would be simpler for me and a little more plug and play. One day I think I will go lithium but for my first time building my somewhat “big” system I will stick with agms. Now agms you could charge with any voltage and be ok, correct? Won’t have to get a voltage regulator, will I?

With AGM's, unless your planning on going at up there, like 18+ volts on purpose, you're fine grabbing any. Just make sure they have the highest amp hour (ah) rating you can get. 

No bass in your car? Shit, I haven't really been able to drive my truck much in 2 years because I don't even have door panels 🤣. Hopefully we both get slapping soon! 

Archived