Sonic Electronix

Pls somebody help me with my problem.

Hello guys ,  How is everybody doing ? I have a problem & i need help on fixing it pls help me. 

Here’s my problem…. With my car running im at 14-14.2 volts and when da bass hits ( i mean to where it sounds very good / HITS HARD.. )  the volts drop to about 12.6-12.7 ( da most i seen was to 12.3 volts )  

My equipment - 

Head unit - pioneer avh 600ex

Hifonics- 2 way crossover line driver

Hifonics - digital bass enhancement processor

Pioneer 4 channel D8704 on pioneer 3 way speakers

Orion zt8000.1D on a FI BL 15 dual 2ohm ( box est.. 3.5-4.0 cu ft ported to 33-35hz ) 

Power source- 

Pure power 240A alternator 

Yellow top optima battery 

0ga wire ( battery- fuse box ) 

0ga wire ( fuse box- alternator ) 

Alternator came with a power wire with 300 amp fuse ( have it from alternator - battery ) 

0ga wire ( battery - trunk * Distribution block ) 

4ga wire - distribution block- amps ( which i think it could be da problem but not sure ) 

So can somebody pls help me & tell me what im doing wrong. 

First, you're not damaging any equipment at 12 volts. So don't worry too much. 

Have you done the big 3 upgrade? 1/0 gauge from alternator positive to battery positive, 1/0 from battery negative to engine block, then 1/0 from battery negative to the frame and chassis? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Well, like I said, your not going to damage anything at 12v.

Is it a newer car? A lot of newer cars control the voltage output of the alternators. So dropping the voltage isn't uncommon. Usually, you can find a work around. Sometimes it's expensive. 

Other than that, if you're really worried about it, put a second Optima in. That should help. 

7 minutes ago, Chent81 said:

My main concern is that when it drops that low my amp tends to cut off ( like my bass has a hiccup ) or til i low da volume a bit. 

If your amp is cutting off, then your WELL BELOW 12.3 my guy. Amplifiers that have a low volt shut off, are WELL below 12. This car audio stuff, is, after all, 12vdc. So, either your dropping well into the 9s, voltage wise, OR, your impedance is cutting the board off. 

12vdc is more than enough to keep your amplifier happy.  You need to get a meter, and see whats going on, set on MIN/MAX, and see truly what your voltage is, and, where nominal load are you presenting the amp? (where are you wired at?)

Awesome guess on my part,..... 9s will shut your board down. 9s my guy..... 12v is awesome, and, were the board is happy. 

• Model: ZT-8000.1DS
  • RMS watts at 1 ohm stereo 14.4v: 850 x 1
  • Watts Nominal: 850 watts
  • Max Music Power: 8000 watts
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz - 250Hz(-3dB)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: 90dB 
  • Input Impedance: 22k ohm
  • Input sensitivity: 200mv-6v
  • THD: <0.1%
  • Low Pass Frequency: 40Hz-250Hz.
  • Bass Boost: 0/12dB
  • Supply voltage: 10~16V DC
  • Power and Protection LED Indicators
  • Soft Turn-on/ Turn-off
  • Dimensions(mm): 334 x 190 x 57

Maybe, when you let it eat, your fancy "bass enhancer" is putting out over 6v (INTO THE AMP) which, the amplifer isnt happy with, according to the specs. You could easily meter that also. I know many of those things, can get into the 13v output area,... your amp, doesnt like anything over 6v. Id be willing to bet, that may be it, as its happening when you lean on it. (voltage is highest)

6 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Maybe, when you let it eat, your fancy "bass enhancer" is putting out over 6v (INTO THE AMP) which, the amplifer isnt happy with, according to the specs. You could easily meter that also. I know many of those things, can get into the 13v output area,... your amp, doesnt like anything over 6v. Id be willing to bet, that may be it, as its happening when you lean on it. (voltage is highest)

That's a good catch right there

Archived