Kirk Posted February 21, 2022 Report Posted February 21, 2022 I have four Skar DDR15's that have a 202oz. magnet with a 2.5"coil. I was looking to upgrade to EVL15's to get deeper excursion but noticed it has a much smaller magnet at 166oz. magnet with a slightly bigger coil at 3"; power handling is 1500 vs. 2500 respectively. Why? This makes absolutely no sense to me.
CorNut Posted February 21, 2022 Report Posted February 21, 2022 I don't know anything about either subwoofer since I've used neither/haven't read up on them. There is more to a subwoofer and what it can handle than just its motor weight though, a larger/heavier coil, stiffer surround, stiffer spider etc all play a role in what the power handling can be. For instance, a copper 3" coil is heavier than a 3" CCA coil. That doesn't mean a CCA coil is inferior, different setups call for/benefit from different designs.
Dafaseles Posted February 21, 2022 Report Posted February 21, 2022 The EVL's are only 1200 watt RMS. Max wattage measurements are something different and not really necessary to take into account when building an everyday system. I can't find DDR's anywhere. Are they an older model? 2011 Chevy Silverado under construction My build log here. Check it out! Â
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.