2018 Mazda CX-5 Lin Bus = No HO Alt

So, I mistakenly bought a 2018 CX-5, not knowing there was no current way to bypass the Lin bus on this SUV. I've considered the idea of a dual alternator setup, but all the fabricators I've spoken to aren't willing to try, and honestly I'm not trying to dump a ton of money into "maybe I can do it". So, a high output alternator isn't possible, and I'm limited to the stock 100A Alternator.

I'm currently running an RP2k to a single EVL 12. I'm about to upgrade the sub to 2x15VXF. I'm going to be extremely underpowered on the RP2k. 

My car takes the RP2k pretty well, hovering around 13V and dipping down to 12.4-12.6 at its hardest hitting moments. Not ideal, but I can live with it for a daily. 

But, I want to go bigger. I'd like to be able to handle about 6000w in total. What possible ways can I achieve this without being able to touch my alternator?

Apex Alternators may be able to help you out. I'm not 100% up to speed on Lin bus (don't have a vehicle with it so haven't had to learn it) but I know Apex has some harnesses that will allow use of their alternators on computer controlled systems. They may not have one for the 2018 but it's worth a shot. I'll be getting one for my 2016 CX-5 in the future when it gets warm enough for me to change it. Only other option I can think of is load up on batteries. I imagine someone will chime in about Lithium cells too. I'm still stuck in the old age of car audio where lithium didn't exist so can't help you there 😅

You can’t I mean you could try a huge battery and cap bank but it’s gonna kill your alt still and mostly play at resting voltage of the bank …   Your best bet is to get an extra bat and cap bank for what you have and get more cone area like four 500 watt 12’s or 15’s

3 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

You can’t I mean you could try a huge battery and cap bank but it’s gonna kill your alt still and mostly play at resting voltage of the bank …   Your best bet is to get an extra bat and cap bank for what you have and get more cone area like four 500 watt 12’s or 15’s

Yes I should have expanded on that to say all the batteries/supercaps in the world won't properly support a 6kw system without an alternator to keep them powered up. Upgrade power and ground (big3 but look into your grounding system to make sure you can do that on the 2018's) and go for cone area and efficiency.

Archived