What do I need to complete my project?

Hey guys. Here’s what I’m running in my stock Altima 2.5.

-MMATS procast 12 (700rms) x2 @ 1ohm
-MMATS 1400.1 amp (1400w @1 ohm)
-Yellowtop
-power bass speakers (100rms rear x2, 120 front x2) they’re running 50w per channel currently off HU power. They’re 3ohm

I’d like to amp the speakers. Currently with HU power and just my amp/subs I get the head light dimming on heavier hitting songs. Only certain songs at the same volume. I know I need to do the big three so I plan to do that soon. The amp I got is 154 RMS at 2 ohm and 103w at 4ohm (skar 100.4ab). Currently running 4ga knu conceptz wiring.

I want to buy everything that I’ll need at once so I can install without needing to wait. What’s recommended? Not looking for capacitors unless absolutely necessary. The more simple the better. Not looking for cheap, but I’m not competing so I’m not looking for a complex killer setup. Just correct for what I’m looking to run. New alternator? Battery? Wiring? Thanks in advance!

So you just want to fix the headlights dimming? Do the big 3, and get LED's.

A decent deep cycle AGM under the hood and another in the trunk wouldn't hurt either. Though only running a 1400 watt bass amp, and that 4 channel, you might be good with just a high AH battery under the hood. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

If you change to LED headlights, they use a lot less energy to function. That will stop your headlights from dimming. 

Sometimes, headlights just dim. Halogen lights need a lot of energy to function, so if any gets taken away for a short period of time (the draw from a bass amp playing a note) they will dim. That doesn't necessarily mean you're stressing out your alternator. 

You're not running excessive amounts of power, though you are running a decent amount. Optima batteries aren't what they used to be. I would switch that out with a stronger XS battery. Just doing that, you'll probably be good. Just for added assurance, if it was me, I would run another of the same battery in the trunk. 

I don't think your getting into an upgraded alternator being a must. But hey, you can never have too much electrical support in your car. If you want to, go for it. It'll only help. Just remember, the alternator is the heart of your vehicle, DON'T CHEAP OUT, or you'll regret it. Don't buy some cheap ebay alternator. Get one from a reputable company. Mechman, Brand X, and Singer come to mind didn't off the bat. Maybe others in this forum have positive experiences with other brands they'd like to share. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

OK! I'm going to do the big three this weekend and re crimp my cables from my battery, amp and ground. I bought a hydralic crimper so want to use that. Going to take wattage measurement at 50hz test tone full power from HU and see what it reads at. Then after doing big 3 and cable crimps read again.

If i still have a dimming issue (just put xenon in fogs and lows) then i'll go with the XS battery. The optima is only two years old i believe.

Archived