Sonic Electronix

15" SaV2 SIA3500 poor sound, warm coils

CANNOT figure out my problem. I had started with the 2 15inch SaV2 D2 on a CAB22  at .5 ohm and hated the sound and it was hard to get the subs loud before the clip light came on and even at under clipping power the coils were getting hot. I decided to get a SIA3500, but now I just have another amp that just won't produce the power out without distortion. LC1 for a LOC. currently stock Alt at 175 amp and secondary 150ah AMG battery and a whole lot of 1/0 wire. So my question is why am I always clipping at high volumes and the amp (Both amps) stopped at around 1400-1600 rms. 

What tests have you performed and what was the outcome, what is the vehicle, what are the enclosure specs, some pictures. how you set gains, how you measured the 1400-1600 rms you say it wont go above, etc, remember we don't know you or your system at all.

6 cubes net 88 square inches slot ported, .75 inch mdf, 2x4 45 degree angle braces on all sides. gains have been set by dmm first and then just by ear, all measurements for wattage were made with amperage meter and volt meter plus math. I can turn the volume up and get more power than the 1400 rms but it starts to distort bad, can't keep a clean signal when going up any higher. box is in the trunk of a 2013 lincoln MKS. Stock infotainment and audio controll LC1 for rca

How did you set the lc1, the level adjustment? Are you using the stock HUs bass and treble functions? What kind of music are you playing i.e bass boosted songs? I can tell you first hand my lc2i in my benz glk350 was set with a dd1+ and when you turn the bass up on the hu it gets My coils (american bass xmax 15d1) HOT! But the amp (taramps hd8k 2ohm version) doesn't ever show clipping nor does the amps volt meter ever dip below 12.4 stock alt and under hood battert, 3 limitless 15ah batts. I would guess similar situations you and I, but turning the bass up creates a dirty/distorted signal which leads to sticky/hot coils.

I haven't messed with the lc1 much. just leaving it half way up, and my bass on the head unit is turned down about half way to help speaker distortion at higher volumes. how did you end up figuring out where to set it?

I actually used a dd1+ and watched Steve Meades videos on the truth about locs. In those videos you can see how he tests the locs using the dd1+ first hand. I used that as my starting point. Your ear and dmm method are probably not picking up distortion etc which the dd1 does. I made the same mistake I figured sure tune by ear which is never very accurate and well coils kept getting hot! So basically I would start fresh reading here on the forum on how to set your amp filters, and Watching meades videos on locs will help greatly. Might even purchase a DD1 or DD1+, at least find someone local with one.

Archived