Wiring Options

There are ample calculators online to use, but can anyone explain how to get to the final numbers? Example what are your final ohm loada for 2 Dual 1.4ohm subs? Break or down and explain how you would calculate wiring series then parallel, parallel then parallel that etc? I searched online and on this forum and I know I have seen it in the past, but couldn't find it again. I think it would be super useful for people trying to understand how to wire subs not on those calculators i.e dvc 1.4, dvc 0.7, dvc 0.35.

Calculations can be greatly simplified if we assume all subs in the circuit have the same final impedance:

Subs in parallel: total impedance = individual sub impedance / number of subs (1)

Subs in series: total impedance = individual sub impedance x number of subs (2)

For hybrid circuits such as series-parallel and assuming all groups(sub circuits) in the circuit have the

same impedance:

groups in parallel: total impedance = individual group impedance / number of groups  (3)

groups in series: total impedance = individual group impedance x number of groups  (4)

To determine the final impedance of dual coil subs (simplest case):

Coils in parallel: sub final impedance = individual coil impedance / 2  (5)

Coils in series: sub final impedance = individual coil impedance x 2  (6)

Example: We want to wire 6 JL Audio 13W7 Dual 1.5 ohm coils to a 2 ohm stable amp:

So using formula (6) we get final impedance of each sub with coils wired in series:
sub final impedance = 1.5 x 2 = 3 ohm

Then we use formula (1) to get impedance for 3 subs wired in parallel:
group final impedance = 3/3 = 1 ohm

Then we use formula (4) to get impedance of 2 groups of 3 subs wired in parallel which will be connected in series:
Impedance as presented to the amp = 1 x 2 = 2 ohm

Archived