Second Skin Audio

Looking for a 12 SQL Subwoofer

type94

Hello everyone, I have been in the market for a subwoofer for the last month or so since my Alpine Type R 12 smoked on me (my friends idea to turn off subsonic... in a ported enclosure).

I have a Hertz HCP 1DK Mono Class D Amp which does 740 Rms @ 4ohm or 1100 Rms @ 2ohm. The type R was wired to 4 ohm I think. It was also in a 38hz tuned Q bomb 1.86cft ported box which I got at amazon. If I had known I would've had a custom box made so I'm trying to sell that and will have a custom one made for my new subwoofer.

So I'm after deep low bass, I listen to hip hop/rap, EDM, pop, 80s,90s, rock music (in this order). Quality matters to me while I also want to be loud enough that I want that deep hum you get from the bass when someone is afar. This will be going in a 2016 BMW 535i that's why I will be having a custom fitted ported enclosure made.

Now I cannot afford a JL W7 and in Canada its quite expensive almost $2400 CAD. I narrowed it down to a Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 or IDQ. I am not sure if the IDQ will be an upgrade from the Type R.

After reading a little I found out that the IDMAX 12 is a picky subwoofer when it comes to amplifiers. I don't know how it will act with my Hertz amp. They don't sell IDMAX in Canada so I will be having it shipped from the USA and paying almost twice the price for it (900CAD IDMAX + 400 box). I plan to feed it 740Rms @ 4ohms.

I just want to know if its worth the hassle? Or should I just go get a 2 12 JL W3 Basswedge for $699 and call it a day?

Also, do these subs ever go on sale? Should I be waiting for Christmas? I am in western Canada so I am ordering from these qualitymobilevideo.com

Any help would be great.

This is the amp I have https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/26639/hertz_compact_power_series_1240w_class_d_mono_amplifier?categoryId=54&sku=HCP1DK

Thank you

Can you get your hands on a Stereo Integrity SQL? I've heard nothing but good things about those subs. Doesn't need a huge box, even if it's ported, not super expensive, and with that amp, you could run it at 2 ohm and it could handle it easy. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived