Second Skin Audio

Winging it...

Blade73

Couldn't get no help with my 1st post so trying to figure it out on my own. Will be running  AB XFL 1222 on a RF 1200W RMS in a Chevy Silverado Ext Cab. Any input on this design? Good, bad? Anything I should change. Many, many thanks to anyone offering input!

20221024_065354.jpg

I can't recreate your numbers with the provided measurements. Could be it's just early and I am being dumb. The external depth of 15.25", internal depth of 13.5", 15" from front of baffle to inside of backwall doesn't work. That leaves .25" for your back wall. I'm guessing your actual external depth is 15.75?

Also I can't figure out your port calculation either. You didn't list the port height, but I am guessing internally it would be 13.5 based on the 15" height. That wouldn't be .8 that would be closer to .5.

Not sure about the brace at all. Where is the 32" coming from? I'm not sure a 2x2 would be ideal in the middle of a port either, but I don't know much about that so someone else can help you there. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

1 hour ago, MrSkippyJ said:

I can't recreate your numbers with the provided measurements. Could be it's just early and I am being dumb. The external depth of 15.25", internal depth of 13.5", 15" from front of baffle to inside of backwall doesn't work. That leaves .25" for your back wall. I'm guessing your actual external depth is 15.75?

Yes. Thank you! All the numbers are running together trying to figure this out.

Also I can't figure out your port calculation either. You didn't list the port height, but I am guessing internally it would be 13.5 based on the 15" height. That wouldn't be .8 that would be closer to .5.

Yes, 3x13.5x22.75. When I was trying to figure out my net cubes, I added  .75" to the 3" width to make up for the port wall. Not sure if that's right or not.

Not sure about the brace at all. Where is the 32" coming from? I'm not sure a 2x2 would be ideal in the middle of a port either, but I don't know much about that so someone else can help you there. 

Was planning a 2" dowel but no idea if that is a good or bad idea. Length should have been 13.5". Not sure what I was thinking there.☺️

I've got up to 36"x15"x15" area to work with.

I've been using this online calculator.

Thank a million for the reply.

PS, My main mode of transportation was a RG before I let the docs cut on me and mess my back up worse than it already was. Been riding for 45 years.

Screenshot_20221024_113814.jpg

So I can't say much for box specs and how well they will work, someone else can help there. I think the overall design is fine, however I am not sure about port/sub direction being optimal. You might have better luck with port forward or up rather than to the side. 

I think a 2" dowel is pretty massive overkill for this. I bet you could get away with a 1" dowel and just not worry about how much volume it takes up, it won't be enough to make any audible difference. 

I used that calculator you provided for the port length and used these measurements (I rounded everything to the tenths): 
box (internal) 34*13.15*13.5 = 3.6

port (internal) 13.5*22.6*3 = .5 (I used 33hz like you did from above)

net internal with sub and port removed = 2.9

Hopefully someone can come along and let you know what configuration would be best and if those specs would work for your equipment. 

I do enjoy my RG a ton, especially on long trips but my Heritage is the one I did all the motor work too. It is far more "fun" to ride.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

31 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

So I can't say much for box specs and how well they will work, someone else can help there. I think the overall design is fine, however I am not sure about port/sub direction being optimal. You might have better luck with port forward or up rather than to the side. 

I think a 2" dowel is pretty massive overkill for this. I bet you could get away with a 1" dowel and just not worry about how much volume it takes up, it won't be enough to make any audible difference. 

I used that calculator you provided for the port length and used these measurements (I rounded everything to the tenths): 
box (internal) 34*13.15*13.5 = 3.6

port (internal) 13.5*22.6*3 = .5 (I used 33hz like you did from above)

net internal with sub and port removed = 2.9

Hopefully someone can come along and let you know what configuration would be best and if those specs would work for your equipment. 

I do enjoy my RG a ton, especially on long trips but my Heritage is the one I did all the motor work too. It is far more "fun" to ride.

Thanks for the input. 👍

On 10/24/2022 at 6:19 AM, Blade73 said:

Couldn't get no help with my 1st post so trying to figure it out on my own. Will be running  AB XFL 1222 on a RF 1200W RMS in a Chevy Silverado Ext Cab. Any input on this design? Good, bad? Anything I should change. Many, many thanks to anyone offering input!

20221024_065354.jpg

You are tuned above 37Hz, pretty high if you ask me but it depends on the music you listen to, if you listen to rap and such you need to tune lower.

3 hours ago, Joe X said:

You are tuned above 37Hz, pretty high if you ask me but it depends on the music you listen to, if you listen to rap and such you need to tune lower.

Thanks for the reply. I was shooting for 33Hz but not sure if that's best? I listen to a wide variety of music but not much rap.

To offer you some more help, you have used the external volume instead of the net internal volume in that port length calculator above.

Even then the use of those types of online calculators is not recommended, in this case that calculator is not valid for slotted ports, just for ports with no common walls, like an aero port.

Archived