Sundown Audio

Will 250w RMS be ok for Alpine SWT-10S4?

sweetchuck

I have an Alpine MRx-V70 amp (5 channel amp).  The mono channel is 250w RMS at 4 ohms.  If I buy an Alpine SWT-10S4 and put it in a .50cu ft truck box, will the amp power it?  I know its under powered, but I really don't want to buy a new amp, and I've been scared of the sound quality to go with the 2 ohm version.  Thanks for any feedback.

10 hours ago, sweetchuck said:

I have an Alpine MRx-V70 amp (5 channel amp).  The mono channel is 250w RMS at 4 ohms.  If I buy an Alpine SWT-10S4 and put it in a .50cu ft truck box, will the amp power it?  I know its under powered, but I really don't want to buy a new amp, and I've been scared of the sound quality to go with the 2 ohm version.  Thanks for any feedback.

You will not experience loss of sound quality on the sub by running at 2 ohm, THD+N is rated the same at 4 and 2 ohms and you will be driving the sub closer to what it expects.

Honestly only cheap amps with deficient power regulation could perform worse when being used on a lower impedance load, Alpines is not the case, it could run hotter in any case if pushed hard, you prevent that with proper installation with great ventilation and maybe a fan nearby just to make sure if it became necessary.