Sonic Electronix

I picked up this car recently and wanted to toss in some equipment that I've had laying around BNIB for years. I don't know how much of it will fit or how to make it work but I'd like to use all of it if possible. I'm going to attempt to install this myself but was looking for pointers so I don't fuck anything up along the way. I will make a build log when I get an actual plan of action. I've been looking at a few videos on how to take the interior apart etc. I think when it gets here, I will start with the h/o alty and the big 3. Planning to lay a few runs of neg and pos 1/0ga cable. I'd like to grab a D4800 for under the hood and something else in the back. Do the things Im comfortable in doing first.

I've seen that using an aftermarket head unit is a bad idea which will prob make this more difficult to source a signal but Idk. I think I might need some optical outlet to a DSP then from there to the amp? I have no idea so I'm hoping to get a lot of help here lol. I will most likely make the lcd screen swap I've seen on YT as well. Other than that it was gonna look stock for the most part. I like the look it has, just needs some beat.

The items that I already have are as listed:

1- SSA 15" D2 XCon

1- AudioQubed Q1 2200D

2- NVX JAD800.4

4- SSA Evil 6.5" mids 4ohm

4- SSA Evil 1" tweets 4 ohm

sound dampener

wiring and cable

Do you guys think this will work? What are the obstacles you see right away? I'm open to all ideas. Thanks!

I've been cruising the Audiocontrol site and might have come across a few things I could use. An LC8i for the mids and tweets, LC2i for the sub with the epicenter. The epicenter isn't prob needed but idk much about it. I was looking for a DM-810 but its sold out everywhere. I'm thinking this stuff will cover the signal issue from the factory head unit? Would I need anything else?

The Audio Control is the right path for the cars with the infotainment systems.

I am in the process of doing this exact same thing in my VW GTI and will be using the Audio Control LC6i.

I used this in the previous version of VW that I had without issue and was pleased with the results.

If you want to take it a step further by using the DM-810 that would be an awesome processor to add to the system to give you full active control. They can be a bit to tune, but well worth the effort as the result will give you the best possible sound to your liking.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

On 3/7/2024 at 9:26 AM, Nightshade said:

The Audio Control is the right path for the cars with the infotainment systems.

I am in the process of doing this exact same thing in my VW GTI and will be using the Audio Control LC6i.

I used this in the previous version of VW that I had without issue and was pleased with the results.

If you want to take it a step further by using the DM-810 that would be an awesome processor to add to the system to give you full active control. They can be a bit to tune, but well worth the effort as the result will give you the best possible sound to your liking.

Man after doing some research I was going to go the DSP route but I think I want to keep it a bit less tech for now. I don't have a laptop, only a desktop, so it would be one more thing I would need. It sounds awesome but i dont think Im ready for that yet.

I've been looking into using 9 of the 10 speaker system for amplifiers. The 4 door tweeters and 4 mids with sub. I'd like to keep the front center channel playing from the stock amp if possible.

The prob I have currently is not knowing exactly how the high level input signal is tapped into. I've never had to use speaker level inputs let alone with a stock integrated amp. I'm trying to plan what parts I need but I need to understand this better. I still want to retain all the stock chimes and alert/alarm noises but don't want all that coming thru the sub etc at same volume. Would I cut any of the existing speaker wires or just splice into them and where would I do that at? The videos and diagrams I've seen are pretty contradictory.  If I'm replacing all the speakers and running wire from my amps, will that affect the radio in sensing that there isn't a speaker hooked up anymore? I'm guessing I cut/splice into the speaker wires before they go into the the stock amp to get the speaker input? Would I leave the one center front channel speaker wire hooked up the the factory amp and cut the others for the LOC? Or leave them all connected to the amp and just splice into the wires? Is this the best place to get the signal? I have no idea what's going on there. I'm stuck for now.

From that point I feel like I have a better understanding of what's going on. I was looking at using several pieces from AudioControl like an LC8i for all 8 mids and tweets. Then a LC2i PRO for the sub channel. That would easily place all nine channels. Then from there I'd use Y connectors on both mids and tweets channels from the LC8i to run to something like a LC7i PRO or a DQ-61, etc. Ultimately after that I'd like to use and EQX or some kind of EQ or EQ/crossover combo if possible. Then also toss in the Epicenter Micro. Not sure what order all of it goes in but i think at least it's gotta start with the LOC.

My new Mechman 370 amp billet alternator got here today. I will be concentrating on running the big 3, installing the new alt, and running several 1/0ga power runs to the rear while I plan the components. I think I have enuf for about 3 runs, maybe 4. I'd like to use all that I have left from a 50ft spool I bought years ago. I will get a XS Power D4800 battery for under the hood very soon. I will also get the charger to make sure I install it at full power. I'm not getting it yet but I'd like to get a secondary battery like a D3100. After I get the main electrical done with main battery, I will decide what secondary battery to use while beginning to order the OEM integration parts. That would prob be all I'd ever need for that vehicle. Eventually I will mess around and get a larger sub amp/sub to see what it can do so the extra power will come in handy. 

I have a VW Golf (2017). It has the basic entertainment system. I wanted to go with a high level to my DSP. I had nothing but problems going that route. The VW head unit is looking for a specific resistance at the speakers. I was constantly getting distortion coming in and out depending on the recording and song (It would happen multiple times through a song). This happened on multiple music platforms. It didn't matter how we set the headunit eq or volume at. If it was flat, below flat, frequencies turned down or up. It always came back to distorting at some point. I did get the work completed through a reputable shop and was thankful that all the diagnosis did not cost me anything.

There is a unit that can be installed that integrates the VW head unit and has RCA outputs (I don't remember what it is)

Ultimately I had went to the aftermarket headunit. Zero issues since.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

11 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

I have a VW Golf (2017). It has the basic entertainment system. I wanted to go with a high level to my DSP. I had nothing but problems going that route. The VW head unit is looking for a specific resistance at the speakers. I was constantly getting distortion coming in and out depending on the recording and song (It would happen multiple times through a song). This happened on multiple music platforms. It didn't matter how we set the headunit eq or volume at. If it was flat, below flat, frequencies turned down or up. It always came back to distorting at some point. I did get the work completed through a reputable shop and was thankful that all the diagnosis did not cost me anything.

There is a unit that can be installed that integrates the VW head unit and has RCA outputs (I don't remember what it is)

Ultimately I had went to the aftermarket headunit. Zero issues since.

I had seen that info about the head unit sensing the ohm load from the speaker. Most of the LOC PRO units from Audiocontrol have an ohm selector switch that will feed that info back to the head unit. Hopefully that will fix that issue. Did you use an LOC with that feature? I've even heard of in line resistor type for stock plug ins. Was that the only issue you had going the high level input route?

I'd love to find something that would allow me to use RCAs straight from the head unit. I haven't seen anyone replace the HU from my vehicle or the like anywhere online. Everything I've read or watched says aftermarket units for my car is next to impossible with the NAV, climate, etc integration. It's a very weird shape as well so nothing from a normal kit would work.

13 hours ago, bigrank916 said:

I had seen that info about the head unit sensing the ohm load from the speaker. Most of the LOC PRO units from Audiocontrol have an ohm selector switch that will feed that info back to the head unit. Hopefully that will fix that issue. Did you use an LOC with that feature? I've even heard of in line resistor type for stock plug ins. Was that the only issue you had going the high level input route?

I'd love to find something that would allow me to use RCAs straight from the head unit. I haven't seen anyone replace the HU from my vehicle or the like anywhere online. Everything I've read or watched says aftermarket units for my car is next to impossible with the NAV, climate, etc integration. It's a very weird shape as well so nothing from a normal kit would work.

I did not go the LOC route. I have a helix Dsp with high level input. And yes that was the only issue I had.  We even adjusted the internal resistance of the DSP. Otherwise it would have been perfect 

im definitely lucky on having an easier time to get an aftermarket headunit with trim plate 

IMG_2189.jpeg

Edited by pnutz37
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1