Second Skin Audio

Loading/Pocket Interaction Question - DC Audio XL Elite in Center Console Box

Hey All,

I'm working on a design for a center console build for my 2007 Ram 1500. (Sub up/Port back)

Here is where I am at, and I was hoping for some input if I should be concerned with any loading issues or odd interaction in regards to the area above the entrance of my port.

Talking through my logic here for design context - I originally intended for an L-port, but will not have clearance after the bend and it would put my port entrance too close to the bottom of the baffle. I am currently at my maximum dimension restrictions, so to work around this I adjusted the port as seen in my images below. I added the baffle extension around the sub to give me 1.75" of clearance between the subs pole vent and the top of the port, 1" just didn't feel like enough. This will be powered by a JP23V2 at either 0.7 or 1-ohm, have not decided yet. Port area was determined by trying to cut down on port velocity as much as possible. As it will be a center console, I chose to double-wall everything except the bottom of the box - which I intend to use some 2" dowels in the port (double walled port) to hopefully add a little extra rigidity along with all of the weight resting on that bottom panel.

Torres is accounting for all single wall plus an extra baffle. When I modeled, I included the extra 1.5" for the double-walls in the appropriate dimensions. I will be molding the outermost edges towards the front to the dash itself, but kept everything square in the initial Sketchup model for simplicity.

Trying ImageShack for the first time so hopefully images upload correctly...

MjedTi.jpg

NAKYsA.jpg

O7DmbF.jpg

BEmyWf.jpg

DLcmXc.jpg

Edited by Cashdollar2009
Images were not linked correctly.
On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

what sub is going into it? might be better off with a sealed application in the console. that air velocity i think would still make a little unwanted noise. how much room is between the port and whatever its firing against?

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

48 minutes ago, crispy_chick3n said:

what sub is going into it? might be better off with a sealed application in the console. that air velocity i think would still make a little unwanted noise. how much room is between the port and whatever its firing against?

This is for a 12" DC Audio Elite XL.

I believe I have about 14" from port exit to the rear seats.

This is going in a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

On 5/14/2024 at 4:24 PM, Cashdollar2009 said:

This is for a 12" DC Audio Elite XL.

I believe I have about 14" from port exit to the rear seats.

This is going in a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

Your box seems to be dual 0.75 layer all around except for the bottom, how can your box width be 14 and your port width be 12.5?