Car Wont Crank

ummm lets see. i put my old cd player back in. temporary taped the wires together, until i can get to walmart or a parts place for clips.

i have a 3 farad capacitor, its was reading 0.00 before i charged the battery, and it was reading 10.20 after.

i have a 2 year old battery. nothing special.

i have been hearing a high pitch noise from under the hood recently. i think its the alternator. but not sure. it gets louder/higher as the engine revs up

i dont have my system wired up like i would like, but its what the place, who i paid, did.

it cranked a minute ago, with the cap reading 10.20, but the sound was fuzzy out of the speakers.

SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

injineer.jpg

Clarion ProAudio VRX755VD

Infinity Perfects 6.1-front

Infinity Perfects 5.1 -rear

Infinity REF7541A

3 Kicker S15L7D2

Kicker ZX1500.1

Kicker ZX750.1

Pair of Memphis tweets

]noise1.jpg

New Build In The Works

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it cranks, then cuts off, it's most likely the alternator. If it won't crank at all, it's the probably the battery or starter. Then again, that could be the fuel pump or a number of other issues, as well.

it cranked after i charged the battery. when i hooked the negative back up to the battery after i installed my cd player, it sparked. which the negative shouldnt spark, right? but that was like a week ago

injineer.jpg

Infinity REF7541A

3 Kicker S15L7D2

Kicker ZX1500.1

Kicker ZX750.1

Pair of Memphis tweets

]noise1.jpg

New Build In The Works

Are you still able to power up the radio and turn the lights on?

yes, but i dont think its getting quite 12 volts. everything was real fuzzy

injineer.jpg

Infinity REF7541A

3 Kicker S15L7D2

Kicker ZX1500.1

Kicker ZX750.1

Pair of Memphis tweets

]noise1.jpg

New Build In The Works

a car will still run even if the alt is bad, it just wont be able to run for long. i do not believe the negative is supposed to spark, here is a lil test you can do to see if yo have anything grounding out. pull both the positive and the negative fromt he battery, then take a DMM and put it on ohms and put one side to the positive wire and one to the negative. if tehre is a reading that means you have a power wire grounding somewhere. before you do this though make sure your doors are closed, light switch is off, otherwise it will give a reading because there is supposed to be power running through it to run your lights ect.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Yep, that's the alternator. And depending on how long the alternator has been bad, you may now need a new battery, also.

im gonna have 3500 rms in my car soon. and want to upgrade batteries. i dont want anything stupid in price, but i want to give it enough power to work the way it should. what batteries should i get?

injineer.jpg

Infinity REF7541A

3 Kicker S15L7D2

Kicker ZX1500.1

Kicker ZX750.1

Pair of Memphis tweets

]noise1.jpg

New Build In The Works

Archived