Sonic Electronix

Hi guys and girls 

Have a question that im scratching my head over. 

Have just finished building and testing a big system for a customer. System is 

6 x 8k amplifiers

6 x 15inch subs ( 6th order )

6 x banks LTOs ( 15.0v during testing )

1 x zapco ASP-L6 c-ch signal line driver

4 x zapco 4ch amplifiers ( for speakers ) 

Kenwood single din headunit. 

Now during testing we where metering 159db + and destroying windscreens. 

All testing was done with Bluetoothing to headunit. Headunit volume control only no bassknob. We have spent almost 100hrs testing getting constant results in the 158/159db range. 

When we went in to the lanes yesterday ( colder weather then during testing ) we where having issues where system would cut out when increasing volume and would meter over 157.7db. Everything it reached that point system would shut down or go quiet. We got voltage on ltos up to 15.7v before entering lanes. 

Even demoing after it was not going as hard as it did during testing. We have had no signs of amplifiers going in to protect or any of that. I'm now scratching my head as to why in testing everything was working grate but on the day nothing was going to plan. We did disconnect ltos charging from alternator during our the runs and connected vehicles battery up for headunit power. Could this have caused our issues? Could it be lack of voltage to headunit and signal line driver? This was the only change we did during our run in the lanes. 

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Note: we do not have a high output alternator yet for this vehicle. 

Thanks

are you burp or music in the lanes? maybe just enough draw to cause an issue or make it a little quieter. have you double checked all your other connections for tightness? also im curious as to why you would disconnect the ltos from the alt?

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

14 hours ago, Epic Soundz said:

Hi guys and girls 

Have a question that im scratching my head over. 

Have just finished building and testing a big system for a customer. System is 

6 x 8k amplifiers

6 x 15inch subs ( 6th order )

6 x banks LTOs ( 15.0v during testing )

1 x zapco ASP-L6 c-ch signal line driver

4 x zapco 4ch amplifiers ( for speakers ) 

Kenwood single din headunit. 

Now during testing we where metering 159db + and destroying windscreens. 

All testing was done with Bluetoothing to headunit. Headunit volume control only no bassknob. We have spent almost 100hrs testing getting constant results in the 158/159db range. 

When we went in to the lanes yesterday ( colder weather then during testing ) we where having issues where system would cut out when increasing volume and would meter over 157.7db. Everything it reached that point system would shut down or go quiet. We got voltage on ltos up to 15.7v before entering lanes. 

Even demoing after it was not going as hard as it did during testing. We have had no signs of amplifiers going in to protect or any of that. I'm now scratching my head as to why in testing everything was working grate but on the day nothing was going to plan. We did disconnect ltos charging from alternator during our the runs and connected vehicles battery up for headunit power. Could this have caused our issues? Could it be lack of voltage to headunit and signal line driver? This was the only change we did during our run in the lanes. 

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Note: we do not have a high output alternator yet for this vehicle. 

Thanks

Pretty hard to wire and setup such a big system, looks like you are running about 50KW of power, makes me wonder how you got lost on this one problem.

You should have voltage monitoring near the amps and at the battery terminals, the first thing I would do is get the system to exhibit the fault while monitoring the voltages, if there is a sharp drop when the problem occurs is one thing BUT if no voltage drop is found when the system cuts out then you are looking to a different non power related fault.

Fast voltage meters are important too, like the  SMD-VM-1 when trying to catch transient faults.