Sundown Audio

Using A Dmm To Set Gain

Shibby

So I just installed a kx1200.1 into my car that I had laying around, I also purchased a dmm since I figured setting the gain by ear was not the way to go. But when I attach the dmm to the amp I am only getting like 12 volts ac with the gain turned to full. The only way I can get to the number needed based off the chart floating around is to use the bass boost on the amp. Is this ok to do since I am still getting the correct volts or is something up. Tried the same think with the sax-3000d in my truck and got the same issue, but the same model head unit is used in both cars with same settings. Hope Im clear on this. Thanks for the help

So I just installed a kx1200.1 into my car that I had laying around, I also purchased a dmm since I figured setting the gain by ear was not the way to go. But when I attach the dmm to the amp I am only getting like 12 volts ac with the gain turned to full. The only way I can get to the number needed based off the chart floating around is to use the bass boost on the amp. Is this ok to do since I am still getting the correct volts or is something up. Tried the same think with the sax-3000d in my truck and got the same issue, but the same model head unit is used in both cars with same settings. Hope Im clear on this. Thanks for the help

Well bro where are you hooking up the leads too first off? If your hooking it up too power leads then thats where the mistake is. From the sounds of it looks like that is the case. They are suppose to go on the speaker output leads. Now you'd want to use a single tone playing through your head unit to adjust the gains on the amps. We normally play low volume say around 10 on the volume knob, completely flat (turn bass and treble settings to zero or off if possible). You want the dmm on the voltage setting but you'd want to adjust the output to be between .05-.07 depending on the volume.

Well bro where are you hooking up the leads too first off? If your hooking it up too power leads then thats where the mistake is. From the sounds of it looks like that is the case. They are suppose to go on the speaker output leads. Now you'd want to use a single tone playing through your head unit to adjust the gains on the amps. We normally play low volume say around 10 on the volume knob, completely flat (turn bass and treble settings to zero or off if possible). You want the dmm on the voltage setting but you'd want to adjust the output to be between .05-.07 depending on the volume.

Guess I should have included more information, I am hooking the dmm up to the speaker output of the amp, all stuff on the head unit is set to zero and I am running at 60 hz sine wave through it. Volume of the head unit is set to 3/4 the way up, the loudest I ever turn it up. Any thoughts with this new info

Kimo- what do you mean by .05 to .07? is that volts cause the chart floating around says I need like 34 volts to get to 1200 watts at 1 ohm

Edited by Shibby

i think he means between .05 to .07 volt difference in the 'goal' voltage.

i would think you could use the gain alone (or close to it) to get the proper output, but i havent used kicker amps before so i cant be certain. however i do think it'd be safe to use the bass boost (at least to an extent) to get the proper voltage you'd need from the amp. just as long as it's not set to put out more power than the amp can handle, i'd say you should be ok

Does your head-unit have a "Subwoofer control"?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Nope its an old one with just front and back outputs, The only things I can think of is that the test tone is messed up somehow, the dmm is wrong, or the head unit/settings on it are messed up. Im guessing its going to be the head unit somehow, I just need to play with it some more

Edited by Shibby

some amps have a High and Low voltage input selector. its a little flat 2-way switch by the gain i think.

try finding the switch, cause that doesnt seem right that your only getting like 500-something watts out of a 1200rms amp