Second Skin Audio

Btl Started To Smoke Today - Pwn

have all EQ's and Bassboost off

take a multimeter and put the + on the + speaker output and - to the - speaker output.

look at the RMS chart posted on here and turn the gain up until the multimeter shows w/e volts you need for power

Make sure you're playing a repeating test tone withing the freq. range of your sub and you have your deck volume at around 3/4-7/8 of your max listening volume while you're doing this too....

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

Dear lord so basically I will save around $120 total if I just do it myself?

How hard is it to recone the subwoofer myself? Thats too much money in shipping for me right now.

Exactly what i'm saying, that's way too much money. Shipping is outrageous now because of fuel costs..

It's not that hard, you have to get the coil centered in the gap which is the most important part...

Other then that its a matter of gluing the spiders and the surround down, once they have dried you work the shim out of the gap and apply your dustcap.

If you feel better about it you could ship it to me, I'm in Virginia and that would save you a lot of money in shipping...and it would look pretty when it was done, that's ultimately your call though. Doing a recone isn't that hard.

Edit: On second thought your only ~3.5-4 hours from me. I could recone it and get everything set back up for you the right way and you won't have to worry...your call though :).

Edited by NDMstang65

Authorized Ascendant Audio Dealer! Message me for information.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

"I have a plausible excuse for not liking you. And you know why."

From the looks of the situation your gain was definitely set improperly and it was way too high. You probably just clipped the shit out of the coil and over time it just thermally could take less and less until it smoked. As for clean power and dirty power from different amps, I wouldn't really expect you of all people to say that accordman, atleast without providing some evidence. Hopefully you can show some proof?

teamsundown-1.jpg

Exactly what i'm saying, that's way too much money. Shipping is outrageous now because of fuel costs..

It's not that hard, you have to get the coil centered in the gap which is the most important part...

Other then that its a matter of gluing the spiders and the surround down, once they have dried you work the shim out of the gap and apply your dustcap.

If you feel better about it you could ship it to me, I'm in Virginia and that would save you a lot of money in shipping...and it would look pretty when it was done, that's ultimately your call though. Doing a recone isn't that hard.

Edit: On second thought your only ~3.5-4 hours from me. I could recone it and get everything set back up for you the right way and you won't have to worry...your call though :).

What part of VA are you man? I could always just make the drive down there and I would pay you if you were to do it for me? I thought you were in Vegas lol

How did you set the gains?

'Clipping' can come from anywhere along the signal path... first the source could be clipped (eg Ipods clip badly at full volume) or clipped music (bad mp3s, music deliberately using 'dirty' waveforms)

Then you can also get it from having the headunit up to high. A lot of high end headunits have non-clipping outputs but often cheapies just clip to hell.

Last of all there is of course your amplifier, 3/4 gain sounds like a hell of a lot. With 4v signal voltage my amps clip at about 1/4 to 1/2 gain.

It might not be 'a lot' of power in the scheme of things but I would bet I could kill a BTL pretty quickly with say 1000w of square waves... especially with non-vented pole-piece, when you clip it the cone stops moving so there's 0 cooling and they heat up FAST.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Have you verified that it is not a problem with your amp? A problem with the output stage could cause bad things to happen....like your amplified AC music signal riding atop a DC voltage.... :(

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]