Second Skin Audio

Btl Started To Smoke Today - Pwn

Today My 12" BTL that I purchased in late April started to smoke today. I have the subwoofer in a ported box around 3cuft to a Crunch GP3000D Pro.

I was driving today and out of no where my subwoofer started to cut out and I thought that it was probably a wire coming loose or something so i just turned it down. Then I smell this awful burning smell and look back and the back seat of my car is being filled with a whitish smoke.

I am assuming that somehow the voice coils burnt up. What would I need to do to have this fixed? A recone? And what does the FI warranty cover because I wasnt really pushing the subwoofer as hard as it could go. It was about half tilt when it started to cut out. Anyone know how much a full recone will cost me if I send it to scott and nick at fi for them to do it?

Thanks guys!

I believe they state a As is, unless damaged in shipping or upon opening. Otherwise its user wiery(user can F'up the sub). And maybe you wired it(phased) wrong. Or your amp smoked it......Usually the lead or something really stupid happens with BTLS, not likely to blow like that.

Edited by Team Maf

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

Yea forgot to mention i press ~2300 on mine daily but then again its fully loaded.

Also I stole ur GIf from your siggy A&W...wish i couldve caught vid of a girl i knew like that...Like 2 15"s haha

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

yea thats what im not fully getting. My friend and I are stumped as to what happend. Im only pushing around 3000rms to it since I cant hold 14.4 volts. I keep it around 12.8-13.4

Like I know Meade is in a whole different ball game then me along with 00dimes but hell they are both pushing 4500-5000 rms to each of their btls daily.

Im just kinda confused as to what happened. Is there any sort of chance that maybe I got some faulty parts?

And as far as phasing, what do you mean? Its wired for 1ohm and I know this because i triple checked it before i put this bohemith in.

Ohm loads and phase are different phase is putting the (-) on the woofer to the (+) in the amp and vice versa.

edit: many things could have went into the destruction of this sub such as CLIPPING it kills subs even though it may not be perceived as being clipped their is inaudible clipping use and oscilloscope to check.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

depends on which options he choose 2k is stock
even fully loaded theres no warranty and there NOWHERE that says the RMS is X amount with X option. Its the risk you take trying to be like Mr Meade and not knowing what your doing.

And i highly doubt you got a faulty part as well.

and although i know you all will hate this comment but theres a big difference in RF power and a crunch amp

Edited by Accordman