Second Skin Audio

Which Sub Should I Get?

So all spl subs are massivly distorted? eh?

[no]. don't confuse that like the whole spl vs sq thing.

all spl subs have such tight suspensions, they could never play anything that will resemble "transient response" -- on the flip side, they have such a heavy/massive moving mass that it drops the fs on the sub making them WANT to play lowwww. For that reason people have successfully used DD's, Brahma's, etc., in sq competitions, because they don't have a problem playing down to 20hz....but those competitors were few and far between. For the DD's it was the 3000 series and Fi is the Q. You'll never see BTL's and DD 9900's rank very high in sq. Brahma's, like the XXX, W7's and most any other xbl2 technology sub sound tubby, slow and overbloated in the low end. Not to mention they fall on their face in the upper regions in comparison to the lows -- so midbass will be needed.

not to mention the le of SPL subs (inductance of the coil). try to find any of the subs you've mention list the le...they don't do it, because no marketing can help them sell those specs (they're shitty). look up sq subs, they'll gladly advertise the coil inductance (refer back to the transient response comment). the vas, it's kind of interesting, because for a sub that likes to play low, it has a low vas...meaning it's stiff as all hell. on paper, small vas = small box. small box = higher resonant frequency. higher frequency = booooooo, when trying to achieve a flat response down to 20hz.

funk-o-meter.gifteamBNSpl.jpgfunk-o-meter.gif

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((in stereo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

team audio thugz uuUhhHhhHhh. straight ghanxstuh since 2007.

so deafy your done playing with the XXX's?

man i haven't played with those in a while! sold the used pair on ebay then tossed the other pair up on the forums. guess no one wanted to buy some boat anchors :(

actually....

presidential, i've got a pair of XXX' for you :o

funk-o-meter.gifteamBNSpl.jpgfunk-o-meter.gif

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((in stereo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

team audio thugz uuUhhHhhHhh. straight ghanxstuh since 2007.

deafy es muy inteligente :)

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

So sq subs are ment to play lows. SPL subs are ment to play mids and highs. If you get a sq sub, you need something to play mids and highs. I was originally going to get jl 12w7's because lots of people bragged about how loud it gets and the unbeatable quality it has, but with alittle internet browsing. There are other comparable subs out there. They advertise the audiopulse 12" axis as if its "the best" lowest distortion spl sub that requires the least amount of space. The axis advertises 2,500 watt rms at 44 lbs while let say... re xxx 12" advertises 2,000 watt rms at 72 lbs? It just dont add up. How can one sub weigh a great deal more but have less power than a much lighter sub.

man i haven't played with those in a while! sold the used pair on ebay then tossed the other pair up on the forums. guess no one wanted to buy some boat anchors :(

actually....

presidential, i've got a pair of XXX' for you :o

wish I had da cash, Id love to play with a pair

So sq subs are ment to play lows. SPL subs are ment to play mids and highs. If you get a sq sub, you need something to play mids and highs. I was originally going to get jl 12w7's because lots of people bragged about how loud it gets and the unbeatable quality it has, but with alittle internet browsing. There are other comparable subs out there. They advertise the audiopulse 12" axis as if its "the best" lowest distortion spl sub that requires the least amount of space. The axis advertises 2,500 watt rms at 44 lbs while let say... re xxx 12" advertises 2,000 watt rms at 72 lbs? It just dont add up. How can one sub weigh a great deal more but have less power than a much lighter sub.

Different motors......

My YouTube Videos

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

And Jl 12w7 advertising 1,000 watt rms at 45 lbs...

btw weight has absolutely nothing to do with power handling......

My YouTube Videos

Archived