Subwoofer Help

I have recently retired my 4 10" MTX subs( 4 ohms). They were barely used so I though I would run them in my home theater. I was going to run them off of a Crown XTi 1000. My questions are..... Do I need anything special to do this or will the x-over in the amp be fine? My reciever is a Denon AVR 3805. Also is there anywhere I could get some home sub box plans, ideas? And of course anything someone cares to chime in on would be awesome. Thanks guys, I don't log on as often as I should, but I check the site everyday and all you guys kick ass!

I have recently retired my 4 10" MTX subs( 4 ohms). They were barely used so I though I would run them in my home theater. I was going to run them off of a Crown XTi 1000. My questions are..... Do I need anything special to do this or will the x-over in the amp be fine? My reciever is a Denon AVR 3805. Also is there anywhere I could get some home sub box plans, ideas? And of course anything someone cares to chime in on would be awesome. Thanks guys, I don't log on as often as I should, but I check the site everyday and all you guys kick ass!

Use the X-over on the amp....should be good

I'm not really knowledgeable about home audio as alot of ppl but I read that if you are going to use a "car" sub in a home application that the box needs to be 50% larger than the recommended size.

I know thats not your question I just thought I would throw that little tidbit of information out there....if it's inaccurate than someone feel free to say so.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Thank you guys, any info is greatly appreciated. I have heard that about the enclosure size too, but luckily size won't be an issue.

Just build the box to whatever MTX tells you to...car or house the box remains the same...also what ohm are you running that amp??

Ive also heard for home boxes, build the box large. My uncle built one for a 15" kicker comp at 5 cubes and ported it to 28hz. it doesn't get uber loud, but adds the rumbles needed for movies while adding decent bass with 100 watts. His fires with the sub towards the wall and slot port out the upper half of the box towards the room. [on its side it makes a good place for drinking games :rolleyes: ]

are they dual four or single four ohms?

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

There is a huge difference accoustically between home and car

for optimum sound, dedicated LOW end subwoofers, and dedicated woofers are pretty important in movie sound reproduction...

Basically because you have a larger room in a home, you may want to tune the subs at like 25hz and then the woofers at 50hz (woofers meaning tower speaker bass drivers, or secondary sub woofers- preferably an octave apart)

If you follow that simple guidline there with subs and woofers, you will have a nice clean transition between explosions, and music, and rap/jazz/rock, a nice wide bandwidth on the bass range which is harder to keep flat in a large room that is 15ftx15ft other than a car that is 4ft wide and 9ft deep

I did a lot of work with home audio enclosures, tower speakers from tweeters to the subs, cross over designs and cabinet designs, and besides tweeter and midrange imaging, and cross over slopes, the transition from mid bass and sub bass is pretty important

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived