had a long debate yesterday... but anyway im just going to get right to the point...

Is the optima red top capable of being used as a deep cycle battery?

I have a red top that I use in a deep cycle application. Yes you could use it. Is it better then using a Yellow, probably not. All batteries can cycle for an extended period of time. Some just do it better.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

so if you can use the red top in deep cycling... why is it that optima says not to do that

Of course Optima will say that, They have other batteries they would like to sell you instead right?

You can take a Walmart Everstart battery and use it in a deep cycle application. It may not last as long as a battery designed to have longer draws on it but it will work. All batteries come with Ah ratings. Follow those ratings and that will give you a good idea on how a battery will perform.

Don't believe Ah as gospel, Because just like car audio, companies will "market" batteries just like amps and subs ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Of course Optima will say that, They have other batteries they would like to sell you instead right?

You can take a Walmart Everstart battery and use it in a deep cycle application. It may not last as long as a battery designed to have longer draws on it but it will work. All batteries come with Ah ratings. Follow those ratings and that will give you a good idea on how a battery will perform.

Don't believe Ah as gospel, Because just like car audio, companies will "market" batteries just like amps and subs ;)

so basically there is no difference between the red top, yellow top, and blue top?

wrong theres differences, and bill even stated that

but theres no law on useing one or the other for a different application

optima advertises there yellow tops as deep cycling batts, the red tops as starting batt(which is pretty much a standard batt that lasts longer), and the blue top for rv use... but if you can substitute on color for the other then whats the point of buying one over the other from a consumers standpoint

optima advertises there yellow tops as deep cycling batts, the red tops as starting batt(which is pretty much a standard batt that lasts longer), and the blue top for rv use... but if you can substitute on color for the other then whats the point of buying one over the other from a consumers standpoint

So everybody can buy the color they like :lol:

Seriously though, Each one has it's application, However if ll you got is a red top to power your RV's tv all weekend, It will still work.

Red tops will give out a lot quicker when deep cycling, compared to a yellow top. Yes, it can be done, but, you may need another battery within a year.

I tried it. Just a little over a year I had to replace it.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

I thought it had something to do with the plates inside the batts. The thicker the plates the better they are for deep cycle use. I read about a question like this somewhere, and some one broke it down that far.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...