Sonic Electronix

ive noticed that most of the top-of-the-line subwoofers use foam surrounds (like Fi, DC, RE, JL, etc.) but others use rubber surrounds (MTX, Fockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc.)

may be a vague question, but which is better? and why does it seem that mos of the top-of-the-line subs use foam?

Matt W.

1996 Thunderbird LX Sport 4.6

new system soon...still deciding on what to get.

a few different answers to that

Foam is lighter, and quiter, it will when matched to a light rigid cone, help with sensitivity.

easie, and cheaper to make- alot cheaper

rubber is good for SQ subs, especially when dealing with sealed enclosures, high excursion designed subs ( less abaility to rip at high excursion, and allows for more springyness to help with cone reflex)

a rubber surround allows for a low QTS over a foam surround which will help raise Qts

thats all I can think of at the moment

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

12 hrs late here I see....

yeah, SPL woofers, or well subs in ported boxes, at tunning, the cones barely move

all the excursion is when the sub is play outside the tunning point

but again, the smaller the port area, the more excursion at tuning, larger the port area, the less excursion... kinda wierd huh?

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Thanks, Ive been wondering this too; In Texas sun, I always wanted a rubber surround sub, as the sun eats up the foam ones long term. Can't be anything wrong with foam if FI and DC use it.

Not to mention the Texas humidity... Anyone know any facts on whether humidity affects the way your bass will sound? I can remember when I had my ported boxes on my way to school on very humid mornings my bass would sound TERRIBLE, where as on a more dry day they would sound fine. (By the way, the subs were foam surround on those) Now I have 2 sealed boxes with rubber surround subs and they don't seem to have that problem...

Anyone know if (foam vs rubber/sealed vs ported) might have any kind of advantages/disadvantages in humid climates?

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Not to mention the Texas humidity... Anyone know any facts on whether humidity affects the way your bass will sound? I can remember when I had my ported boxes on my way to school on very humid mornings my bass would sound TERRIBLE, where as on a more dry day they would sound fine. (By the way, the subs were foam surround on those) Now I have 2 sealed boxes with rubber surround subs and they don't seem to have that problem...

Anyone know if (foam vs rubber/sealed vs ported) might have any kind of advantages/disadvantages in humid climates?

I had a foam surround sub.

I still have foam surrounds except different subs.

Ear and the meter have proven that when it is hot bass is louder.

I did Bass Race this pass weekend.

Qualifying I did a perfect run.

Next run I was sweating balls inside of my truck.

Went up for the run, started gaining quick, so I dropped the volume below where I normally have it and I still busted out.