Any reason why you would be using a BOV over a wastegate?

doesmnt a bov go on the intercooler to intake tubes and then the wastegate goes after the headers before the turbo ?

Posted Image

thats the setup ill be running, just a bigger motor. BOV on the bottom corner and wastegate on the upper left corner. correct me if im wrong

610EUROs

Yep..but typical your wastegate is at the turbo, releasing excessive pressure so that the turbo doesn't over spool. On gassers, the wastegate usually opens about 10-12 psi.

I have ran twins in one of my trucks well over 100psi with an oversized Intercooler and never installed a BOV, that's why I ask why install a BOV.

BTW..that's a damn nice ride.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Yep..but typical your wastegate is at the turbo, releasing excessive pressure so that the turbo doesn't over spool. On gassers, the wastegate usually opens about 10-12 psi.

I have ran twins in one of my trucks well over 100psi with an oversized Intercooler and never installed a BOV, that's why I ask why install a BOV.

BTW..that's a damn nice ride.

the turbo im buying doesnt have the wastegate built in like some turbos do. and i am putting the BOV for one so i can get the turbo "shoooosh" and two to prolong the life of the turbo itself.

that car does look good. i know two guys in sweden with the same motor swap im currently doing and that setup looks amazing. its complete overkill power. but it sure makes for a mean race/drift car .. here is one of the cars from sweden,

610EUROs

the turbo im buying doesnt have the wastegate built in like some turbos do. and i am putting the BOV for one so i can get the turbo "shoooosh" and two to prolong the life of the turbo itself.

You'll still get the spool up sound of a turbo, the only thing that BOV's are typically used for are to regulate backpressure. Bov's will prevent the turbo from "huffing" or spinning backwards if too much back pressure is applied to the turbo. However, on normal scenarios back pressure is only created when you are full bore into the throttle, have the turbo spooled up and then just completely let off the throttle. There really is an art to driving with a turbo to gain it's maximum efficiency.

Personally, i'd skip on the BOV, that is one of those items that was created for really high HP or to help stupid people to stop breaking turbo's. If you wastegate your turbo right, you shouldn't need anything more. As I have stated before, I've ran multiple sets of twins at very high pressures and never had any need for a BOV. I'm definately not going to stop you from getting it if you want it. But I suggest, first you build your setup, run with it and then re-visit if you need a BOV :D

You'll still get the spool up sound of a turbo, the only thing that BOV's are typically used for are to regulate backpressure. Bov's will prevent the turbo from "huffing" or spinning backwards if too much back pressure is applied to the turbo. However, on normal scenarios back pressure is only created when you are full bore into the throttle, have the turbo spooled up and then just completely let off the throttle. There really is an art to driving with a turbo to gain it's maximum efficiency.

Personally, i'd skip on the BOV, that is one of those items that was created for really high HP or to help stupid people to stop breaking turbo's. If you wastegate your turbo right, you shouldn't need anything more. As I have stated before, I've ran multiple sets of twins at very high pressures and never had any need for a BOV. I'm definately not going to stop you from getting it if you want it. But I suggest, first you build your setup, run with it and then re-visit if you need a BOV :D

I kno this is your area and all kev. I agree with you on mostly everything. If his turbo has an external wastegate or an enlarged internal wastgate flapper i would pass on the on the BOV. But if he is running a internal wastgate smaller than like 50mm I would go with a BOV. Especially if your not used to driving a higher hp car everytime he shifts it might build too much pressure but it all depends on how much boost he is running. To the OP wat are your hp goals for this car and what turbo are you running? Nice car too. And Kev what did you run twins in (just curious, I love twin turbo set ups)

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder

Hey bro..no problem. This section isn't about "me" it's about us helping out our bruthas. Feel free to step in and help out.

You do bring up some very valid points on shifting and wastegating.

As far a the twins, I ran several different setups in both my personal 2000 Cummins and my race truck. For my personal truck I stuck with an HX55 and HX40 setup. On a normal day, punching the throttle would put out about 75lbs of boost. If I turned on the drugs, they'd get up to 102lbs. Took me about 2 1/2 years working with a group of turbo engineers to get it perfected.

Hey bro..no problem. This section isn't about "me" it's about us helping out our bruthas. Feel free to step in and help out.

You do bring up some very valid points on shifting and wastegating.

As far a the twins, I ran several different setups in both my personal 2000 Cummins and my race truck. For my personal truck I stuck with an HX55 and HX40 setup. On a normal day, punching the throttle would put out about 75lbs of boost. If I turned on the drugs, they'd get up to 102lbs. Took me about 2 1/2 years working with a group of turbo engineers to get it perfected.

102 Lbs :blink: ..............hold up man i gotta go clean my seat :unsure:. That is very impressive man

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder

But you also gotta know that this daily driver was doing a tad over 800hp..

Man that is very impressive. Im currently working on my first TT setup in a G35 it should be pushing 750hp when we are done. I want to experience a 800hp+ car that is almost as exhilerating as sitting in the Hoe or Caddy for me.

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder