How Do Amps Create Dc Current To A Speaker?

Guest aseanj52

If you clip or "square wave" an audio signal you can blow the woofer that way..

If a torroid is grounding that can send dc to the output.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

interesting read on clipping:

All that clipping is is the transformation of the signal's waveform from sinusoidal to rectangular. What that means is that if you picture the sine function from 0 to 2pi, instead of a curve, make it 2 right angled boxes with dimensions of pi x 1. The integral of the function aka, the amount under the curve is the amount of power being transferred. As you can imagine, a square wave has more power underneath the curve than a sinusoidal curve does. As a result, a clipped signal CAN send more power to a speaker than normal, but clipping is not the cause of blowing the speaker.

There are only two ways to blow a driver: mechanical failure or thermal failure. The former is due to over excursion of some form from some cause (usually improper enclosure), and the latter is usually from overpowering the speaker. If you feed a Type-R a fully clipped signal from a 300 watt amp, it will not reach thermal failure in the least. It might sound like shit, but it won't cause the speaker to fail. The driver doesn't know what it's being sent, all it does is get fed power and turn that into sound. Whether or not the signal is distorted is irrelevant.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315581

from an electrical engineer

I'm sure rusty doens't mind quoting a few lines of some PMs but here is how this whole ordeal came about:

"I had a question also about your set up, did the woofer smoke in your ride or did you plug it into the wall? I only ask because the leads on both coils were burnt in half and the coil was just short of ash, in 5 years of building subs ive never seen a coil that charred. dosent matter to me either way i said kill em =] just wondering. if you werent trying to smoke them and they got like that there not going to last very long."

"Do you have a voltage meter? Maybe that yellow top isent providing enough reserve? Burnt coils and lead wire is caused by to much heat, heat is eith to much power for a woofer, really bad clipped signal (too much voltage input,too high of gains for amount of voltage imput/ over Eq'ed) or a amp producing DC current, DC will cook a woofer faster than anything but Ive reconed woofers after Super Street Deathmatches that were better looking than yours =] Theres something going on there, but without haveing the car in my hands theres no way for me to help. I will send a pic of your coil, you will laugh at it =]"

i want pix and want to know how you did it.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

i meant as far as blowing it. he asked you if you wall socketed it, thats what i was referring to. amp or socket

zx2500.1 all the way. That one he got was the one that blew the other was still good as far as I could tell, I'm sending that one back to him today

a 100 watt amp at full clip is outputting alot more than 100 watts...

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz