Second Skin Audio

Dumb Box Building Question

I owned a car audio shop for about 10 years, but I closed down about 6 years ago. All of the sub boxes that I built I used wood screws and liquid nails or wood glue. I have seen a few boxes on here that seem to be held together with just wood glue and no screws. Will a sub box hold up to the pressure if you dont use wood screws to anchor it down? Or is everyone using wood screws and I just cant tell from the pics. :pardon:

n2caraudio.com

the glue holds the box together

the screws are there to keep the two pieces of mdf/birch held together while the glue adheres the two pieces together.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I always used the wood glue and liquid nails to form a tight seal more than rely on it for strength.

I actually started out using clear silicon till I found out the fumes can errode the surround on the subs.

Edited by sonic purity

n2caraudio.com

:01nocomment8so:

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

i nail my boxs together, i dont use woodscrews cause i dont like em, im better with a brad nailer than i am a screw driver on buildin boxs, i use 1&1/2-3/4 nails to put it together with wood glue and my box is still together and i pound on it everyday, i aint used a screw sence the 90's, now i dont hate usein screws to build boxs, but i have better luck with nails tho, and i always use burch plywood cause somehow burch has a good resonance like when they make instruments with it, but anyways i use cylicone cauk in the seams, woodglue in the joints and brad nails to put together, but thats just me

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

wood glue and nails, usually about 16g brads, or 18g and screws, but I only use a few screws per board, the rest would be nails, seal the inside with anything -Ive used silicone for years, it only effects surrounds that use Toluene based rubber glues, and that is only if the sub is mounted right away, and the fumes stay trapped in the box

The all edged get routed flat for professional look, then rounded

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.