Here's my countersink bit in this picture from my build so you can see what I'm talking about, I think this one is considered a #8.

Posted Image

Use one of these, just make sure to set the bit to where it goes deep enough to where the screw doesn't have to wedge itself into the wood. You want the screw threads to do the work, not the tip of the screw.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Yeah I just didn't know MDF could handle it as well...that's what I usually do, posted about it a while ago somewhere else...

That's what I planned ond oing...and applying a small bead on every contact piece PLUS the screws plus the glue with screws...and yeah I'm getting a drill bit as you suggested...just was in a rush to get wood before they closed, have that part fixed...I had to get two sheets...lots of weight to haul up to the third floor

countersink is what I used on my last build

what to use to cut the mounting holes...last time I used a jigsaw

oh and when I mount the subs, I am doing a double face plate on it but it's not gonna be cut differently it will just rest on the top one and not the second one...will that affect sound?

and is there any place I shouldn't put a reinforcing dowel rod

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hifonics Brutus Bxi2607D (FRIED...saving for ZX2500.1)

2 15" 07 L7's ported at 32hz

Xplod POS for the MIDS, which are Memphis

SMDMafiaFrozenbritches.jpg

Yeah I just didn't know MDF could handle it as well...that's what I usually do, posted about it a while ago somewhere else...

That's what I planned ond oing...and applying a small bead on every contact piece PLUS the screws plus the glue with screws...and yeah I'm getting a drill bit as you suggested...just was in a rush to get wood before they closed, have that part fixed...I had to get two sheets...lots of weight to haul up to the third floor

countersink is what I used on my last build

what to use to cut the mounting holes...last time I used a jigsaw

oh and when I mount the subs, I am doing a double face plate on it but it's not gonna be cut differently it will just rest on the top one and not the second one...will that affect sound?

and is there any place I shouldn't put a reinforcing dowel rod

the more glue the better, you should put enough so it oozes out when you clamp/screw it together

Got my fuse holder in as well as my terminals...not too pleased with the terminals cause the 1/0 hole looks a little bit too small.......

I'll make it work properly though or I'm gonna bitch to them and just connect with some from auto zone..

Posted Image

Posted Image

So damn bored cause I can't sleep..tired of working late and early, then late again...sleep all fuxed up...

Gonna take a picture of the box preparing to be put together...today, but a little later...gotta get my countersink since nobody was open when I got off work...Still gotta find someone with the tools to cut me some holes, live in an apartment...home far away..tools far away...will slow the build but I will soldier on...I got my parts on delivery today, just checked and delivery due today for both my battery, terminals for the wiring I got and wire...20 ft 1/0 stinger

anyways..here's some wood clustered together...

Posted Image

And just cause I don't have the tools don't mean I'm going to jerryrig something...I'm gonna find the right tools...they just won't be mine..

20 ft of stinger wire came today along with 6 terminals for my big 3 upgrade...having a hard time finding a place to put the second ground on engine though..

came in a kicker cvx 10" box...a little shady and the package was beat to shit...but everything is in good condition

Posted Image

Big III done, took forever to get the chasis to engine ground...an hour or two of painstaking awkward positions up under it...anyways....3/4ths of the box is constructed as well and I got sealant all over me...pictures to come soon enough..

ok last post till it's done then I'll show you some serious flex....not enough interest to keep posting anyways...here's the batt

Posted Image

Box is almost completed...had to sand a piece to fit snug because the screws were starting to split it just a lil bit..nothing that will leak though, and there will be lots of sealant on it when I'm done...sand time, then primer and paint and then throw everything together perfectly in the back of my trunk..

Real important tips about screwing MDF.

Any screws that go close to the end of the wood always measure 1 inch to 1-1/4 from the edge of the wood.(and not from the edge of the box actually from the edge of the sheat its self.) Any less than that and it will split.

My 2 favorite drill bits are a 7/64 and a 3/32. I was going to explain the rite way to use them together but it will take to long to type.

That set of bits is to be used with 1-5/8" (1-5/8 is for 3/4 MDF) coarse thread drywall screws. At Lowes Orange is the distingishing color. It doesn't say if they are 6s or 8s though.

ALWAYS PREDRILL MDF Use the 7/64 drill bit in all the corners but just screw the screw in real slow and only get it snug the glue will do the rest.

Its real nice if you have a counter sink bit kit. I think you can get them for $15 Craftsman from Sears and it includes everything you need but the drill.

If you want one PM me and I'll send you a pic of mine so you get the rite thing.

Use lots of wood glue. don't be scared of it.

Theres more to it but I'm not trying to write a book. LOL

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Thanks for the tips, I followed them while I was constructing but I mean I'm not hella experienced. they split..but sanding will smooth any small small jagged edges....the errors I made were small and won't affect this I hope...quick question though, will a dowel rod in between the speakers keep them from flexing the box so much??

I hope it still beats hard, it's like my last box as far as construction goes, yeah there's some splitting but the inside is perfectly smooth, and I am gonna CAULK this thing like no other...it's gonna be ready for action....

Just worried about what color to get it primered and painted...

Archived