How To Tell If A Song Is Clipped

whats the difference... one is boosted before it goes to amp and one after... same affect. think of ur bass knob as a remote gain knob.... but only at one frequency + those affected by the slope... some songs can tolerate 3-6db of adding boost without clipping... but without a clipping indicator or a oscope... u will never know when u entered clipping... whereas the gain on the amp amplifies all notes the same... this is why u use a 50hz tone to set the amps gain... its between 20-80hz... the usual response expected by a subwoofer

My installer tested with a scope with the bass knob at max for clipping when he was tuning, so I should be fine right?

Well, he tested without the bass knob by using the gain on the amp and later we put in the bass knob that came with the eD nine.1 amp and made sure it didn't clip.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

i meant bigpimpin91 the one who started this thread

as stated already... boosting the bass is ok so long as u know when u start to clip

in ur case... u are one of the few who used an oscope with bass knob correctly... so u should be fine

imo... i wont ever use a classified bass boost knob(a few notes).... i will however use a remote gain knob(all notes)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

lastly... to further prove u cannot get rid of distortion/clipping

gorilla zoe - money man (again)

32hz note (slowed version)

Posted Image

after boosting only 6db @32hz

Posted Image

after normalizing to -3... clipping is still there

Posted Image

its like ur climbing in a mountain range and u see a plateau, its 100ft... u climb it...

nomalizing is like climbing a 50ft plateau... its still a plateau.... just smaller

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so this song clips...and some of the options that have been talked about/ shown like where the program finds clipping...i dont have :( any help

Posted Image

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Forgestar F14 18s --Rally Armour Mudflaps

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

Need: ALTERNATOR!

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

3.8L S/C-few modsWheels: Ruff Racing 280 19x8.5 Sub: Fully Loaded

12" Fi BTL Amps: Autotek MM3000.1d Sundown SAX-100.4HU/Tweets/mids:

Alpine D310 + H701, TBI HDSS tweets, Mpyr audio 65m x4extra sheit:

knukonceptz 0, 4, rcas, speaker wire EA 200amp alt HC 2400

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

Financial Consultant- Charles Schwab

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is "clipping"

QUOTE (ryde2idie @ May 9 2009, 07:37 AM) i feel your pain man, but ya gotta keep on poundin. a sub will slap you in the back of the head for years and years, itll make your ears hurt, and caus a small heart attack, but 10 bucks says it wont stab you in the back.
QUOTE (Rogers @ Sep 20 2009, 06:59 PM) well my woman bitches and moans about me building boxes and spending so much time outside..... but when the bass line starts she shuts up quick...
/nuff said

read post 45 and 46... thats explains everything with pictures... and explains that u cannot get rid of clipping...

you can search for good quality songs online, but thats illegal

you could also buy the album, since ~95% of cds are not clipped at all, clipping usually resides in p2p mp3's

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i take it this is bad

Posted Image

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Forgestar F14 18s --Rally Armour Mudflaps

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

Need: ALTERNATOR!

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

3.8L S/C-few modsWheels: Ruff Racing 280 19x8.5 Sub: Fully Loaded