Alright so im thinking about building a custom trailer for quads utvs snowmobiles etc has anyone ever built one before. The reason im building verses buying is I want to build it to fit 4 quads a grill and tool box im also tired of having to take a huge arse trailer when I go riding. It will be an open trailer also not enclosed. Does anyone think it is worth building one verse just having a trailer custom made this trailer will be made to be pulled with a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 thats also a reason im wanting to build something smaller. Any suggestions Thanks Aaron

I would start with a dual axle flat bed... but usually home built trailers end up being very heavy. use the angle bar and flat stock sparingly. It is easy to get carried away with a welder and chop saw.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I would start with a dual axle flat bed... but usually home built trailers end up being very heavy. use the angle bar and flat stock sparingly. It is easy to get carried away with a welder and chop saw.

Thats what I was thinking I was thinking of using 2x10s for the flooring on it thats whats on my skidsteer trailer and I love it I was thinking like 2x4 square steel for the frame

I missed your second post when I typed out my first one. I would just consider buying a flat bed already built, with no rail, just wheel fenders, and build the rest of it to suit your needs. You dont need a long ramp since you wont be driving a mower up on it, so you you can build that your self, and probably buy a trailer frame with no wood on it , and deck it yourself. Fabbing up a whole trailer is a big job, you got to make sure it is square, and flat, and some what balanced. You also gotta get the axles on the frame square so the trailer will track right as it is pulled down the road at speed. You dont want to get goin and look into your view and see the trailer crab walking out to the side of your truck even a little bit. That is just asking for trouble, especially pulling into tight spots or narrow roads, and it will make backing the trailer more fun that you want it to be. Try and find a trailer with no wiring, no decking and no gate, and start with that. Most trailers are built on jigs to keep them square. The hassle of trying to build a frame is more of a hassle than it is worth.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I missed your second post when I typed out my first one. I would just consider buying a flat bed already built, with no rail, just wheel fenders, and build the rest of it to suit your needs. You dont need a long ramp since you wont be driving a mower up on it, so you you can build that your self, and probably buy a trailer frame with no wood on it , and deck it yourself. Fabbing up a whole trailer is a big job, you got to make sure it is square, and flat, and some what balanced. You also gotta get the axles on the frame square so the trailer will track right as it is pulled down the road at speed. You dont want to get goin and look into your view and see the trailer crab walking out to the side of your truck even a little bit. That is just asking for trouble, especially pulling into tight spots or narrow roads, and it will make backing the trailer more fun that you want it to be. Try and find a trailer with no wiring, no decking and no gate, and start with that. Most trailers are built on jigs to keep them square. The hassle of trying to build a frame is more of a hassle than it is worth.

Ya I found a few local but the people want way to much for one I think im going to see what it would all cost in the end if it would be better to build one vs just having one built for me. My main concern is just trying to keep it small I have alot of other big trailer gooseneck 8x32 ft trailer flat bed skid steer trailer 8x18 ft and 2 enclosed trailers 8x22 ft for my lawncare business. So for this one im trying to make it a fun trailer if that makes any sense easy to load pull back up and have a spot for a grill mounted on it.

Edited by Aaron813

bro! you never seem to amaze me... you know if you dont have one custom built or build it yourself you will never be happy with it. i saw a few @ the sportsmans show last year that gave some good ideas... my favorite was a double decker with built in canoppy, 2 rhinos on the bottom with 4 quads on top.

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

Just a quick question, why do you need dual 3500lb axles to haul 4 4wheelers? If they were 500lb a piece thats only 2000lb and I don't know of many 500lb ATVs. Just make a 12' flatbed with a single 3500 axle, it will keep the weight somewhat down.

Edited by duct_tape123

Just a quick question, why do you need dual 3500lb axles to haul 4 4wheelers? If they were 500lb a piece thats only 2000lb and I don't know of many 500lb ATVs. Just make a 12' flatbed with a single 3500 axle, it will keep the weight somewhat down.
size does matter! BIGGER is better... plus he will probally be taking this trailler off road.

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

I understand BIGGER is BETTER(I live in Texas), but it has its limit. Let me know what you come up with, I need a trailer too. My brother has a trailer that he put a BBQ pit on, with a toolbox and radio, that he can still load his dirt bike and 4wheeler on. I'll get some pics next time I see him.(should be soon)