Sonic Electronix

In a nutshell...

I have the following.

Pioneer DEHP4900IB Deck

Pair of Pioneer TSA4672R Speakers (4x6)

Kenwood KAC8103D Amp

With a P21234 Rockford Sub (Non Ported, custom box built to proper specs)

This is all installed in a Peterbilt Big Rig - Yaknow those big scary trucks...

Anyway this all was installed by me LAST September with the help of a friend of mine from a Stereo Shop. Everything was fine until about 3 months ago. Out of the blue my sub started cutting off, and the only way to get it back on was to turn my radio off for a bit. Then after a bit of use it would do it again. I played with the controls and lowered how much the sub hit, everything seemed fine until my sub all of a sudden sounded like crap. I decided to check out the sub, well wouldn't you know it... The sub was in fact cracked in 2 places... So I said I guess that was the problem. At the same time I broke my Sirius Plug & Play radio, and seeing as this rid is an Auto Transporter, I never installed a real FM ant, so I was left with just a CD player. Anyway I got frustrated and decided I would just deal with what I had.

Today... 3 months later I decided to re up my Sirius account, go buy a new Starmate 4 and buy a new sub, cause I really have been missing the system. I spend around 30min to replace everything, turn it all on and its the SAME thing. The sub just cuts off if you crank it to high, and I am not talking about 80% volume, I am talking about lifting it past 30%..

I am 32 years old with 4 kids, I honestly have not kept up to speed on all the latest and greatest, but come on now. This seems to be a simple fix. All my setting are the exact way my buddy told me to do. And remember the system played PERFECT for 9 months straight, and was even able to handle 95% volume with NO problems so please can someone point me in SOME direction. I am kinda feeling like its the Stereo now. But don't want to just start guessing on what the problems COULD be.

I thank everyone in advance for your help.

PS here is the Cliff Note Version... "Sub cuts off @ 30+% Volume"

Amp could of got messed up with the old sub you could be at the wrong ohms or a bad connection somewhere

I will recheck all connections. I honestly clueless as to how to check the ohms. Was never great at electrical, but I am sure I can figure it out. Its been a good 10 years since I was into all of this, do todays amps go bad that easy? I really am leaning towards the deck or amp, but wanted to see what some of the great minds thought it could be.

Thanks for the reply.

what kind of sub did you replace it with? the same kind? i had this problem with cadence subs also. other then that you could have wired your sub too to low of an ohm and its cutting out the amp because it cannot put out the kind of power you are trying to make it.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

to check ohms use a digital multi meter, they are like $15 at walmart and i use mine all the time so its money well spent

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Frist thing I would check all connections and I mean ALL OF THEM after you know that's good check the wiring of the sub then check the speaker wire from amp to sub should take about 15 mins. Now after that's all checked and in good working order check the ohm of the speaker if that's good for the amp then I would start to think it was the amp and start to look into that

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

what kind of sub did you replace it with? the same kind? i had this problem with cadence subs also. other then that you could have wired your sub too to low of an ohm and its cutting out the amp because it cannot put out the kind of power you are trying to make it.

I went from a P2 to a P1. I found out (after the fact) that the P2 I had bought was well over a year old b4 I bought it, and "may" have been returned. Ahh in any case, I will check everything everyone told me to check, and Let everyone know.

When I check for ohms, am I just going straight to the output of the amp, or @ the speaker wire?

I have a kenwood amp and it was doing the same thing. I didn't know what to do so I unhooked every wire from the back of the deck to the amp and to the subs and then hooked them all back up again including the power wires and grounds to the amp. It's worked fine ever since.

I have a kenwood amp and it was doing the same thing. I didn't know what to do so I unhooked every wire from the back of the deck to the amp and to the subs and then hooked them all back up again including the power wires and grounds to the amp. It's worked fine ever since.

Really? Since this isnt a common car or truck, it was a real pain in the ass to run these wires. For those that do not know, inside a Peterbilt or a Pacar (Pacar is who builds Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks) you have your normal steel outside body and then an internal shell thats Aluminum, so I was able to run all the wires inbetween the outer body and the inside shell.

I will do as you said Alvitae.

For all others. I am going to test the Ohms, and I have seen people talk about the RCA's for other problems, could this also be a problem for me?

I am off to work now, so I will not be back for some time.