Sonic Electronix

What Exactly Does Displacement Do?

Thanks, I know what displacement is I was referring to the output of the subwoofer having something to do with the displacement. For example, the heavier the magnet is the more output it would potentially have?

Like the DC Sound Lab lvl4 12" I heard has a displacement of .16, and the AQHDC312 is .4. Is this saying that the AQ will most likely have the potential of having the output?

That's not always gonna be true. Just because a sub takes up more room inside a box because it has a larger motor and basket doesn't meant that it will potentially have more output.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

The spec you're refering to is cone area in square inches combined with linear x-max to give a value of air the woofer can move.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you please explain what spec this is you're referring to?

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

the size of the magnet does not necessarily mean it'll be louder. it's all in the quality. many other things also play a role. what he means by cone area and xmax is typically the more cone area you have on a speaker, the more air it will move. the more air you move, generally the louder you'll be. xmax is how far the cone can move. the higher the xmax (usually rated in millimeters) the more air it will move, meaning generally the louder you'll be

Edited by ExpoSport