Does Rtv Sealant Stop Engine Leaks ?

just got a used motor (22re) put in my toyota , the engine has a pretty good oil leak between the cylinder head and the block , my mechanic did it as a side job and couldn't fix the leak (didn't have time) and i didn't have the extra money to pay him to do it . he gave me some Mopar rtv sealant (black) and some brake cleaner , said to clean it real good and apply 2-3 thick layers of the rtv to the spot where its leaking , well i did this all last night , fired up the truck tonite and the oil is still leaking :angry: anybody know a fix for it besides pulling the cylinder head and re gasketing it ?????

Usually it doesn't leak from under the cylinder head, but from the corner of the intake manifold, but it looks like the head. Thats what happened on my 390 FE. I had to pull the intake, clean the front and rear seats and put a very thick bead of RTV. Hasn't leaked since.

Edited by duct_tape123

just got a used motor (22re) put in my toyota , the engine has a pretty good oil leak between the cylinder head and the block , my mechanic did it as a side job and couldn't fix the leak (didn't have time) and i didn't have the extra money to pay him to do it . he gave me some Mopar rtv sealant (black) and some brake cleaner , said to clean it real good and apply 2-3 thick layers of the rtv to the spot where its leaking , well i did this all last night , fired up the truck tonite and the oil is still leaking :angry: anybody know a fix for it besides pulling the cylinder head and re gasketing it ?????

Did you let the rtv cure before you reassembled it?

RTV will not seal a head gasket leak. Bars only stops water leak. The problem is the oil pressure will be high enough to push the RTV every time. You could try urethane but I doubt that will work also. But you could try that. But you will have to clean the shit out of it and then let it cure for a day or two before you start it. What I would do is just bite the bullet and yank the head or pull the motor and send it back due to it not being sound.

I hate to be the bare of bad news but please trust me on this. I have been into racing and this kinda stuff of a long time and thats the way it goes.

Sorry! If you do pull the head, clean the block and take a flat file and lightly file the head then install a MLS head gasket (from Felpro or Cometic) and that should fix the problem. Plus all you would be out would be the head gasket and intake gasket.

Shannon

Edited by ImLow78

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

RTV will not seal a head gasket leak. Bars only stops water leak. The problem is the oil pressure will be high enough to push the RTV every time. You could try urethane but I doubt that will work also. But you could try that. But you will have to clean the shit out of it and then let it cure for a day or two before you start it. What I would do is just bite the bullet and yank the head or pull the motor and send it back due to it not being sound.

I hate to be the bare of bad news but please trust me on this. I have been into racing and this kinda stuff of a long time and thats the way it goes.

Sorry! If you do pull the head, clean the block and take a flat file and lightly file the head then install a MLS head gasket (from Felpro or Cometic) and that should fix the problem. Plus all you would be out would be the head gasket and intake gasket.

Shannon

i have never done nothing like that ( mechanisal wise ) i think i would fuck it up !!!! i just hate trying to remember where everything goes as far as hoses and plugs and stuff like that . even if i was to label them and take pictures , maybe , just maybe ...... i was hoping for a different kind of sealant or something ......

Edited by toyonbags

Did you let the rtv cure before you reassembled it?
i waited 24 hours :angry: i searched on the internet about RTV sealant and people said anywhere from 20 minutes - 24 hours , so i opted to wait 24 hours . i think ill try it again . ill post back if it works or not.............

I wish you all the luck but think of it this way, The problem you have is like try'n to use one of those little sponge bob square pants band aid to stop the bleeding of the next door 43yo Lady's self inflicted slit wrist after she found out the man she has been married to for the past 25 years was caught sleeping with two 27yo hot chicks at the same time. I know thats a little extreme analogy but sometimes you can't just tap some1 on the shoulder, you have to hit them with a baseball bat. LoL

Shannon

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

I wish I was closer. I would be over there in a New York minute to help you yank t head off and get it fixed the right way. Its times like these when you find out who your real friends are because they are the ones willing to help a brother out in his time of need. ;)

Shannon

I wish I was closer. I would be over there in a New York minute to help you yank t head off and get it fixed the right way. Its times like these when you find out who your real friends are because they are the ones willing to help a brother out in his time of need. ;)

Shannon

thanks for the offer !!!! i think im gonna try the rtv one more time than if it does not work , i will have my mechanic show me how to pull the heads off and do it ''the right way'' ..... but again thanks for your offer , really nice to hear :)