Beginners Guide To Glass?

Hello all,

I am new to the site though I have been watching Meade's work for awhile. Anyway, I have a problem with a friend of mine, I think. He wants to build a fiberglass box with fleece and Duraglass only. I told him, "you have to start with resin!"

I don't know a whole lot about fiberglass but I have never heard of a box strictly out of Duraglass.....??? Any help would be great.

BTW have been browsing the posts, looks like a lot of good work going on out there, keep it up.

Big Tim

yes...you NEED resin to harden the fleece to keep shape. then you need layers of matting and resin to build up the structure to give shape. that's what will give it strength. duraglass is more of a filler that you would touch up with. i would never use a box of only fleece and duraglass unless it was teeny tiny

EDIT: oh...and welcome to the site ;)

Tell your friend he's going to loose alot of time and money if he does that.

You MUST use fiberglass mat in many layers to get a strong enough structure. Otherwise the box is just going to flex/crack/break/ or even explode.

Tell him before he starts wasting time and money to get on the net and read AS MUCH as he can before doing it.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Archived