Trailblazer Alternator/ Regulator Differences

Whats the difference between the 03 and 07 alt/ regulator setups? I swapped an 03 alt into an 07 and afterwards did not have power on the turn on circuit....the only difference I see between the two is that the 03 is turned on by the PCM and the 07 is turned on by the regulated voltage control module....jumping the turn on lead with B+ made the alt work as it should.....I verified that the cluster is receiving the voltage message from the RVCM:undecided

any ideas? am i missing something?

03 Alt wiring diagram

fe3ee836.gif

07 Alt wiring diagram

9cc375ef.gif

thx!!!!

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

Whats the difference between the 03 and 07 alt/ regulator setups? I swapped an 03 alt into an 07 and afterwards did not have power on the turn on circuit....the only difference I see between the two is that the 03 is turned on by the PCM and the 07 is turned on by the regulated voltage control module....jumping the turn on lead with B+ made the alt work as it should.....I verified that the cluster is receiving the voltage message from the RVCM:undecided

any ideas? am i missing something?

The two systems are not cross-compatible. Both systems receive a modulated signal back from the regulator, but that does not mean that the signal is the same.

The PCM provides a PWM signal on the regulator input, and reads the field duty cycle as well as system voltage to adjust charging with the DR44G alternator.

Your older AD244 is managed in a similar fashion, but the old regulator still has the capability to run without feedback - that is why you could make it start with a jumper to B+ ( I strongly recomend a current limiting resistor in that jumper circuit!)

Why are you installing an older, non-compatible alternator in your 2007?

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

The two systems are not cross-compatible. Both systems receive a modulated signal back from the regulator, but that does not mean that the signal is the same.

The PCM provides a PWM signal on the regulator input, and reads the field duty cycle as well as system voltage to adjust charging with the DR44G alternator.

Your older AD244 is managed in a similar fashion, but the old regulator still has the capability to run without feedback - that is why you could make it start with a jumper to B+ ( I strongly recomend a current limiting resistor in that jumper circuit!)

'Link

x2

It's not going to work corectly. It's the same price for a 2-pin unit, why not just install the correct alternator?

'Link

Thanks for the info....to answer your question I did the install for a friend. Was told it would work if the connector was changed.

x2

It's not going to work corectly. It's the same price for a 2-pin unit, why not just install the correct alternator?

cool thanks boss

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png