Not sure if this has the same transmission I have been working on in class (41TE). But I had to fix the same problem with this dodge van, ended up being the output sensor and a transmission control relay. May not be both on yours..the car was "bugged" and I had to figure it out.

When it stays in 2nd its in the limp mode. If you cut off the car and start it back up and drive the transmission will try to operate normally until it finds something wrong again..which usually will only last 10 seconds.

Like they said..check your fluid. Make sure it's a nice red color and not burnt...and that it's full. you should get the codes pulled for the transmission. I believe the code was 51 for the output sensor.

well the last time the transmission got a flush was last year...i heard i should change the oil on the transmission every year...well not me..take it to a shop..well right now the oil smells like one of the guys said here before like wires burned something like that and its not that "cherry" color..its more kinda like dark...but just to be sure im gonna get the codes today saturday...in the afternoon....hopefully thats the sensor your talking about bro

oh yeah one more thing could there be a chance that the "transmission's computer" might be bad?..way back before i had this car my dad had it..well since then he has been replacing the transmission sensor's and also the "motor's computer"....could that be too?..im just saying though..i hope that helps you guys!

Not sure if this has the same transmission I have been working on in class (41TE). But I had to fix the same problem with this dodge van, ended up being the output sensor and a transmission control relay. May not be both on yours..the car was "bugged" and I had to figure it out.

When it stays in 2nd its in the limp mode. If you cut off the car and start it back up and drive the transmission will try to operate normally until it finds something wrong again..which usually will only last 10 seconds.

Like they said..check your fluid. Make sure it's a nice red color and not burnt...and that it's full. you should get the codes pulled for the transmission. I believe the code was 51 for the output sensor.

Yes, they are the same transmission!

The scanner your friend used on your car must of been a old one other wise it should of told you exactly what was wrong with it.

I googled it farth and sounds like the transmission computer is shot.

Sounds like a simular problem, but both fixes that you are describing and this guy of turning the key on and off fixes the problem until it finds the error again.

http://dodge.justanswer.com/dodge/9nii-199...id-transmission

Yes, they are the same transmission!

The scanner your friend used on your car must of been a old one other wise it should of told you exactly what was wrong with it.

I googled it farth and sounds like the transmission computer is shot.

Sounds like a simular problem, but both fixes that you are describing and this guy of turning the key on and off fixes the problem until it finds the error again.

http://dodge.justanswer.com/dodge/9nii-199...id-transmission

you think replacing the transmission computer would make the problem go away?.

Yes, since the guy had praticly the same problem in that recent link i posted, and so did the member here "V1G1LANT3" with the vehicle he worked on (that has the same transmission as your car).

And you said when ever you cycle the ignition key (turn the car on and off) it fixes the problem for a short time, and that is a way to temp clear the code from the transmission computer.

thats 3 things with the same soulition for the temp fix of cycling the key. Id bet thats your problem. Plus the scan tool you used said something about a computer too! :)

Yes, since the guy had praticly the same problem in that recent link i posted, and so did the member here "V1G1LANT3" with the vehicle he worked on (that has the same transmission as your car).

And you said when ever you cycle the ignition key (turn the car on and off) it fixes the problem for a short time, and that is a way to temp clear the code from the transmission computer.

thats 3 things with the same soulition for the temp fix of cycling the key. Id bet thats your problem. Plus the scan tool you used said something about a computer too! :)

hopefully thats the problem bro!!...i was thinking on taking it to a shop but they said it was gonna cost me $600+...im gonna buy a new "transmission computer" and see how the car works...i rather do it myself than going and pay $600+ and have the same problem...THANKS ALOT BRO!...I OWE YOU ONE!

the TCM could be your problem but it's not definite. My teacher works on transmissions at the chrysler dealership so he is very familiar with the problems these trans have. It's best to have the codes pulled and see what comes up from there. the trans could be failing and metal shaving could be backing up at the sensor making it look like it's faulty. The fluid and filter will tell all...and whats in the pan when it's removed. Split the filter case in half..remove the filter and split tha.t in half and see what's inside. recommended that you use chrysler filter's only in the trans. About all I know on that subject for now.

I take it you're in phase 9 (auto trans)at UTI right? I had a flashback for a second there lol

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

boy in the last 12 months I have had 2 cars where this same thing happened

1) Dodge intrepid

2) Plymouth Breeze (41te)

Looking up on forums, like Stratusphere.com, among many other forums, I have found about 5 problems on these damn dodge trannys

which has been mentioned already input and output speed sensors would be the first thing to check

if that doesnt work, tranny computer 2nd

bad or lose ground connection to tranny/computer

shift solenoid pack

but being stuck in second, and not 1st is a good sign its NOT the transmission itself, and just a electrical problem

if stuck in 1st, and wont go to 2nd or others, then your screwed

but while your at it, definitely get a full tranny flush/service

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.