Sonic Electronix

I Kno This Is A Dumb Ass Question But Explain Ohm To Mee

by parallel u mean like bridged?? an if i bridge em its 1 ohm but if i do it normal it 2 ohms??

No bridging is linking 2 channels, parallel and serial are ways to hook subs up to just one channel.

Parallel is all positives are connected together, all negatives are connected, and each are connected to their respective input.

To get the total impendance you must take the inverse of your ohm loads and add them, then take the inverse again. (1/a + 1/b; if a and b are your two ohm loads, then take the inverse of that answer)

Serial is when you hook the positive end of one to the negative end of the other, so on and so forth.

You add to get the total impedance.

you also change how much power is applied to the speakers. EX: having 2 12" subwoofers, each having a Single 2 Ohm voice coil on it. having 2 of them and wiring them in parallel would make it 1 ohm. connecting the 1 ohm load (the 2 speakers in parallel) to an amplifier, the speakers would get a total of 1000rms.

now thats not 1000rms to each speaker, its shared among them equally, so each speaker would get around 500rms.

if you wire 2 of the same speakers in series, you would get 4 ohms. now when you connect this 4 ohm load to the same amplifier, the speakers would each receive 125rms, or a total of 250rms. (125+125=250)

what do u mean by in parellel?? an 1 ohm is the highest wattage right?? and i think my amp is a mono so i cant bridge my subs?? im srry alot of pepole tell me diffrent... an if my amp is a mono how do u kno its a 2 ohm amp?

starting fresh, chrysler 300.. no subs amp nothin

I NEED HELP looking to purchase saz-1500d and 15" 1000rms subREFS- feedback/refs.. click!

what do u mean by in parellel?? an 1 ohm is the highest wattage right?? and i think my amp is a mono so i cant bridge my subs?? im srry alot of pepole tell me diffrent... an if my amp is a mono how do u kno its a 2 ohm amp?

bridging an amp means that you connect 2 channels together to wire to X speaker/s

you can wire as many sub's together as you want, but every sub you add on, each sub gets less power than it did before. you have to watch out for the ohm load when you finish wiring them though, if you wire them wrong, you are very likely to blow your amp from overloading it (running .5ohms on a 1ohm stable amplifier).

if its a 2 ohm amp, do you have a Kicker?. if you mean its stable down to 2 ohms, then yes, you can wire speakers together to get down to 2 ohms but nothing lower. anything above 2 ohms (4 ohms, 6, 8 etc) is safe for the amp to handle.

My turn

Ohm’s or impendence is a term used to describe a physical electrical load that a speaker places upon an amplifier. Amplifier manufacturers have designed their amps to operate under a range of speaker impedances that could range from 1- 4 ohms connected to the amp output. Connecting a speaker load outside of this range could cause damage to the amplifier. Most amps are ok with ohm loads above the operating range at a reduced power output to the speakers. Problems or failures happen when too low of an ohm load is connected to an amplifier and overtime (unknown how long the amp will last) will cause the amp to fail as it is being asked to work with an ohm load it was not designed to work under.

This is where the wiring terms parallel and series come into the picture and where you can change the speaker load placed upon the amp. With respect to the amplifier specs you need to connect a speaker load that the amp will work with by following the manufactures recommendations. Try looking at Rockford Fosgate or JL Audio in their tutorials for speaker wiring plenty of examples of series and parallel wiring schemes to be found on there websites.

Bridging is an operation term used with amplifiers that have more than one (mono) channel in example 2-channel amp designed to be bridged can be a 2-channel amp (stereo mode) or a single channel amp (bridged mode). This is an action that takes place inside of the amplifier that was designed to operate in either mode. Here is a point to pay attention to what the manufacture has spec for ohm the load in both modes of operation because they are different!!!

Hope this helps to get the basics down.

We taking turns describing it lol

Did you get it yet?

yea i get the big picture but i want to know how i know what ohm my subs an amp are?? like how do i know... and thanks lynbo,bad company and kranny for helpin without talkin shit

starting fresh, chrysler 300.. no subs amp nothin

I NEED HELP looking to purchase saz-1500d and 15" 1000rms subREFS- feedback/refs.. click!

yea i get the big picture but i want to know how i know what ohm my subs an amp are?? like how do i know... and thanks lynbo,bad company and kranny for helpin without talkin shit

no problem man, im always trying to help people to the best of my extent.

what model subwoofers are they? if you dont know, sometimes the ohm load or subwoofer model is posted on the bottom of the subwoofer or by the speaker terminals on the subwoofer